[SOLVED] I'm lost - what PSU outputs do I need

Jun 30, 2020
Hello,

1st time PC builder - trying to figure out what PSU outputs I need and what names they go by, so I can find a proper PSU. The terminology has me lost. I'm headed toward a 550W PSU but I keep striking out on figuring out exactly what the PSU outputs need to be.

Motherboard is ASUS AM4 TUF x570. It says it needs
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)

(https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/specifications/)

Graphics card is ASRock Radeon RX 5600 XT Challenger D 6G OC. It says it needs one 8-pin power connector.

(https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Car...Challenger D 6G OC/index.us.asp#Specification)

There's otherwise nothing spectacular to know about the build - 1TB M.2 SSD connected to PCIE (no SATA, though maybe the PSU should have that capability as well in case the 1TB is insufficient).

I am looking at something like the Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+. Here are the specs: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...es-2017-config/p/CP-9020133-NA#tab-tech-specs.

If I zoom in on the cable that's permanently attached, I see what appears to be a 20+4 ATX connector, plus another 8-pin connector.

The specs say it includes: ATX Connector (1), EPS12V Connector (1), Floppy Connector (1), PCIe Connector (2), SATA Connector (5), PATA Connector (4) - I'm thinking most of these specs are describing the included cables themselves rather than the PSU modular outputs, since the numbers exceed the modular ports actually on the PSU (see below).

I figure the ATX plus the 8-pin that are permanently attached (non-modular) cables give me 2 out of the 3 connections that my motherboard wants, leaving me with a need for one more 4-pin power connection for the motherboard plus another 8-pin needed for my graphics card. Now I go look for those in the modular ports on the PSU...

I see 4 modular outputs, three of which are 6 pin and one of which is 8 pin. The labeling on these throws me for a loop - the terms being (1) peripheral, (2) SATA, (3) 6+2 PCIE, and (4) 4+4 CPU - though it's not clear what labeling applies to what output. I'm guessing the last two labels each describe the one 8-pin output port. In other words, I think those say it is usable for either a 6+2 PCIE connection (is that the "8-pin power" needed by my graphics card?) OR to a 4+4 CPU (which I'm guessing would fit a motherboard with either one 8-pin connector needed or two 4-pin connectors needed).

Kind of thinking at this point that I'm not going to be able to both get the 4-pin power I need for the motherboard AND the 8-pin power I need for the GPU from this particular PSU since they would both need to come from the 8-pin port. I guess its conceivable that I could get 4 pin power from one of the 6 pin outputs and take the 8-pin power I need for the GPU from the 8-pin output port, but I kinda doubt the 6-pin ports work that way.

Anyway if someone could tell me what I need for my own situation and straighten me out, I'd be grateful. I've tried to do my own homework and appear to have gotten an F. PC Part Picker allows me to filter PSUs by what outputs I need but they talk about EPS 8-pin (is that the same as ATX 8-pin?), ATX 4-pin, and PCIE 6+2 pin and I'm not sure what I need there....

Thanks,

John

Solution

Weird that they say "24-pin EATX". EATX is not a power connector definition. No wonder your confused. It's just the size of the motherboard. You just need a standard ATX 24-pin. Some PSUs have a 20+4, which is the same thing.

Same with the 8-pin. Most PSUs have 4+4-pin. You can use either use it as a 4-pin or an 8-pin by combining the two pieces.

Depending on your CPU, you probably don't need BOTH 8-pin and a 4-pin. 99% of the time, just the 8-pin works perfectly.

Graphics card is ASRock Radeon RX 5600 XT Challenger D 6G OC. It says it needs one 8-pin...

Weird that they say "24-pin EATX". EATX is not a power connector definition. No wonder your confused. It's just the size of the motherboard. You just need a standard ATX 24-pin. Some PSUs have a 20+4, which is the same thing.

Same with the 8-pin. Most PSUs have 4+4-pin. You can use either use it as a 4-pin or an 8-pin by combining the two pieces.

Depending on your CPU, you probably don't need BOTH 8-pin and a 4-pin. 99% of the time, just the 8-pin works perfectly.

Graphics card is ASRock Radeon RX 5600 XT Challenger D 6G OC. It says it needs one 8-pin power connector.

Like the 20+4 and the 4+4, PCIe power connectors on PSUs tend to be 6+2. Meaning they can work as either 6-pin or 8-pin connectors.

Solution
Jun 30, 2020
Thanks for your speedy reply. So this is what I'm hearing:

motherboard would get the permanent ATX 24-pin and permanent 8-pin from the PSU. leave the 4-pin power empty on the motherboard

GPU would use the 8-pin modular output of the PSU as a PCIE 6+2

Is that what you'd do? Or would you recommend instead that I just get a different PSU with one permanent 8-pin and TWO modular 8-pins (or one modular 8-pin and one modular 4-pin, same result)? I hear you saying it probably doesn't matter whether I skip the 4-pin power on the motherboard.

Thanks,

John