[SOLVED] Im making a webcam from an old laptop and need some help.

May 19, 2020
So I have this old laptop with a webcam. After watching a video on youtube about turning the webcam into a usb cam, I wanted to try it. Im need a camera for online classes and i had an old laptop lying around. I have followed the video so far and it still doesnt work. I dont really know much about cables and stuff. Its a webcam from a Toshiba Satellite C75D A7213.
IMG-1077.jpg
IMG-1078.jpg

Orange cable= ground
Green= positive
red and purple = D+ D-
black and yellow=???

Usb cables and:
green= D+
white+ D-
Red= positive
black+ground

video=
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CouxmNqxO4A

Last edited:
Solution
Two issues:

1) You may have the connections correct but the connection itself is faulty.

2) If something happened once then that "something" may have damaged the camera.

Go back, if you can, and determine which cables were actually connected.

Do you have a link or diagram that you can post that shows how you decided that the connections should be made?

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is to abandon soldering the connections.

The wires, especially on the camera side are very fine and easily damaged both mechanically and thermally.

What I suggest is that you cut out the soldered connections and use a small breadboard to make temporary connections and thus determine what combination works.

You may not have much "wire room" left especially on the camera side so cutting out the current soldering may be a bit tricky to do. Desoldering (heat) could cause further damage especially to the fine wires.

Try to save as much camera wire as you can in order to connect to the breadboard.

After working out the correct connections then use heat shrink tubing to make the connections permanent.

Or, being a school project, just leave the connections on the motherboard to show how you worked out the connections.

May 19, 2020
Not really a school project, i need a camera for for zoom and stuff. I need help with the connections. I think everything is connected right, but it is still not working. I got something to happen once when i connected 2 cables together and a "usb malfunctioned" message poped up. Don't remember which. Maybe black and yellow?

Ralston18

Titan
Two issues:

1) You may have the connections correct but the connection itself is faulty.

2) If something happened once then that "something" may have damaged the camera.

Go back, if you can, and determine which cables were actually connected.

Do you have a link or diagram that you can post that shows how you decided that the connections should be made?

Solution