Im new...Help me overclock my pentium D!

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hey guys im a new kid on the block

ive been having trouble getting my pentium d 805 over 3.6 ghz. itll boot into widows at 3.8 but as soon as the cpu does any work the computer resets.

im using:
400w antec smartpower
Asus P5ND2-SLI mobo
1gb Pqi turbo ddr 667
artic cooling freezer7 pro

right now the core voltage is set to 1.45v
fsb is around 178 t
the ram is at 667 with 4-4-4-12-4 timings..was working at 4-4-4-8 for a while

here are my cpu-z

cpuzho6.jpg

memme4.jpg

you guys think i may just need a better psu? any thoughts?

Thanks

Nic

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
A 1Gghz OC sounds pretty good to me for a pre-Conroe cpu...but what do I know? Not much about the Pentium D's I can assure you.
Temps are very, very, very important to know. please post them

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
A 1Gghz OC sounds pretty good to me for a pre-Conroe cpu...but what do I know? Not much about the Pentium D's I can assure you.

as for temps...mobo idles at 30c and the cpu idles around 33c...not sure under load

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Lol load is the one that matters. I dunno how new you are, but if ya don't know the basic OC tools in the arsenl are:
1) Memtest86+
2) Prime 95 (and make it so you can run dual instances)
3) CoreTemp or Everest (they measure the temp ON the core and not just around the socket like Asus Probe does)

Well actually I could go on and on and re-write the OCing Guide that someone else has already written. So i'm not gonna do that. Do a search in the forumz for OC guide and I believe you'll find one for your processor.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Toms hardware posted about this you can overclock to 3.2 on stock for some reason i can go higher and overclock to 3.8 on a better cooler and higher than that requires water cooling.

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Lol load is the one that matters. I dunno how new you are, but if ya don't know the basic OC tools in the arsenl are:
1) Memtest86+
2) Prime 95 (and make it so you can run dual instances)
3) CoreTemp or Everest (they measure the temp ON the core and not just around the socket like Asus Probe does)

Well actually I could go on and on and re-write the OCing Guide that someone else has already written. So i'm not gonna do that. Do a search in the forumz for OC guide and I believe you'll find one for your processor.

k ill check the load temp as see what i get

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Toms hardware posted about this you can overclock to 3.2 on stock for some reason i can go higher and overclock to 3.8 on a better cooler and higher than that requires water cooling.

im surprised you can get higher than 3.3 on that ecs since they lock down the pci to the fsb...i couldnt get over 150fsb with that board. stupid frys combo...

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

im surprised you can get higher than 3.3 on that ecs since they lock down the pci to the fsb...i couldnt get over 150fsb with that board. stupid frys combo...

lol you got the combo to spent $180 for it. idk maybe its just your board i have same ram and everything you have and i can get to 3.6 but like i said i need better cooling to reach my max overclock.

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
yeah i got the deal for 118 but i ditched teh ecs board right away...and its a fact that the v1.1 of that board cant get over 150 fsb...confirmed by ecs..but thats only if you are using sata which i am...im assuming you are using an ata drive then.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have the same CPU, RAM, and cooler as you. Try relaxing the timings on the RAM to 5-5-5-15 to see if it is the RAM holding you back or increasing the voltage to 2.2 or so. I am using an ABIT NI8 Sli and have NO problem hitting 3.8. Even upping the voltage on the CPU has been proven to be ok. Just make sure you check your load temps, but mine loads at about 46C last I checked after probably 3 hours running an instance of Prime95 on both cores.

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I have the same CPU, RAM, and cooler as you. Try relaxing the timings on the RAM to 5-5-5-15 to see if it is the RAM holding you back or increasing the voltage to 2.2 or so. I am using an ABIT NI8 Sli and have NO problem hitting 3.8. Even upping the voltage on the CPU has been proven to be ok. Just make sure you check your load temps, but mine loads at about 46C last I checked after probably 3 hours running an instance of Prime95 on both cores.

so youve found the ram can handle 2.2v? ill try to change the ram clock to what you specified...what cpu voltage are you running?

thanks to everyone who has help so far

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Your cooler will be the downside if you want to achieve 4Ghz. Anyways, downclock your ram to 400 at 1.9v and don't change the timings. It should provide more stability for the cpu at 3.6Ghz.

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Your cooler will be the downside if you want to achieve 4Ghz. Anyways, downclock your ram to 400 at 1.9v and don't change the timings. It should provide more stability for the cpu at 3.6Ghz.

you misunderstood. i am running fine at 3.6 with 667 ram at stock timings.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006

Downclocking the RAM and trying to get to 3.8 would be another way to try. I did both to achieve my overclock but after some benches found my RAM at 712mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v was 100% stable. I played around with the timings and clock a lot, I recommend you do the same.

Chuck may have misread what you wrote, but his advice is always good. Give the downclocking a shot and post back, we can work from there.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006

as for temps...mobo idles at 30c and the cpu idles around 33c...not sure under load

what are you using to check temps? that seems low for 1.45volts with that cooler you should be able to get around 4ghz depends how hot you want to run it. How are you setting the ram speed in the bios?

Well the 945p-a can get to 3.99 ghz before isssues start popping up like sata disapears
the 410l is not a bad board either with the updated bios if you did the volt mod and turned off auto pic/dimm clk detect

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I had the same motherboard a while back. It would go to 4.0GHz with a D805. I actually had 2 of these and achieved the same result on both.

I think your PSU is your problem as the D805 wants more power. From my reading and use, you will be needing a 500watt true power PSU to go higher.

I would be trying to go back to 533FSB for your ram on though timing as well, just until you get it stable at 3.8GHz.

The only other advice I would give at this point is go slow and don't change lots of settings at once.

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I had the same motherboard a while back. It would go to 4.0GHz with a D805. I actually had 2 of these and achieved the same result on both.

I think your PSU is your problem as the D805 wants more power. From my reading and use, you will be needing a 500watt true power PSU to go higher.

I would be trying to go back to 533FSB for your ram on though timing as well, just until you get it stable at 3.8GHz.

The only other advice I would give at this point is go slow and don't change lots of settings at once.

im thinking that the power supply is the case.

i tried running 5-5-5-15 and i could increase the fsb to 733 which was 3.67 ghz...but while running 3dmark06 it froze in the cpu test. i also tried 750, but i would get an error prompting me to go back into settings because the settings werent safe (dont remember the actual wording sorry)

i am changing the ram via the jumperless in the bios. Do you think i should try leaving the timings to auto and just using the jumperless to run the memory at 667? or vise versa?

i was using the asus ai booster to read my temps...bios temp readings give me the same thing...i cant figure out how to get temp readings in prime 95 so if someone can tell me how to do that ill test it under full load.

Sunburn

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
I've got a quick fix:

Open your case. Can you see the processor? Great. Remove it, throw it away. Buy a C2D. Plug it in. Reboot. Overclock if you must, but whether you do or not, your computer will run faster with far less drama.

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I've got a quick fix:

Open your case. Can you see the processor? Great. Remove it, throw it away. Buy a C2D. Plug it in. Reboot. Overclock if you must, but whether you do or not, your computer will run faster with far less drama.

cant im a poor college kid lol

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
If I were you, I would leave it at 3.6GHz. It will only cost you about 100 point in the tests and will run a little cooler. It is really not worth spending any additional money on.

One other thing to check is the PCI setting. I found that I had better results setting it to 100 and not overclocking it at all.

encryptedballa

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If I were you, I would leave it at 3.6GHz. It will only cost you about 100 point in the tests and will run a little cooler. It is really not worth spending any additional money on.

One other thing to check is the PCI setting. I found that I had better results setting it to 100 and not overclocking it at all.

yeah pci is still set at 100

im just bored and wanted to see if i could get it any higher