Question (I'm New) Need Help with SSD PCIe Connection

Jun 7, 2022
Hi Everyone,

As I said in the title I'm new to building PC's and so I might be lacking some basic knowledge.

The problem I'm having is trying to connect an External SSD (Samsung T7 SSD, USB3.2 gen 2, read write speeds around 1000MB/s ) to my motherboard without reducing its maximum potential speed.

I have quite an old motherboard that only has SATA ports and 2.0 PCIe ports available for the SSD to connect to (3.0 PCIe x16 slot is used by my graphics card).

So from what I can tell the SATA III ports will supposedly deliver around 700 MB/s, so I could get a usb-c to SATA III adaptor but that wouldn't fully utilise the SSD's max speeds.

The only other option I have is a 2.0 PCIe x16 port which my motherboard manual states that it is only powered to use 4 lanes, which I believe equates to about 2Gb/s. So this slot would be fast enough if I was able to get a PCIe USB 3.2 gen 2 expansion card that utilised all of the 4 available lanes.

My question is will any PCIe USB 3.2 gen 2 expansion card I place into this x16 slot utilise all 4 lanes or will I need to get a specific PCIe card that fits either a x16 slot or x4 slot to utilise all of the available bandwidth?

It's all a bit confusing for me so my apologies if I've got some of the details wrong but I hope someone can help me with this.

Cheers.

Jun 7, 2022
Sorry for late response guys, so my PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.00 GHz
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 970
RAM: 24GB DDR3 Ram
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Motherboard
HDD: Western Digital WD 1TB Blue 3.5" Hard Drive, SATA III, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache, CMR
Power Supply: Be Quiet 600W 80plus Bronze power supply
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal Grey PC Case

The SSD I'm trying to connect is a portable SSD that I purchased to use with my Xbox One X, I'm not using the xbox as much as so I figured I'd repurpose it for the PC.

Yes Lafong that is the correct drive (Portable SSD T7 USB 3.2 1TB (Gray) Memory & Storage - MU-PC1T0T/AM | Samsung US ).

Unfortunately no, the motherboard/case is old so it doesn't have any USB type C ports/native compatibility.

The PC is primarily used for gaming, as well as a bit of university work.