Question Im new to mac.....what should I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Hi I recently got a 2nd hand late 2006 macbook because I really wanted to see if the whole "once you go mac you never go back" thing was true and all. However this is my first time ever useing Os X (snow leopard) so I was wondering if someone could help me with basic commands, tools, tricks, things to avoid etc.... O and how much should I expect out of this model for that matter. Thx!

Jun 10, 2013
I'm guessing it has a Core2 Duo in it? This laptop can still be used to do many things that a brand new Macbook can do, just a bit slower. Don't expect to play any game made after 2009 with acceptable frame rates on it especially if it is using a integrated Intel GPU.

As for the OS, here are some (okay, not "some", pretty much every shortcut ever on a Mac) useful keyboard shortcuts to learn: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

And a Snow Leopard User guide: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Welcome_to_Snow_Leopard.pdf

Also, don't forget the close, minimize/maximize buttons are on the left. When I'm using the Macbook Pro, I always go to the right to close a window. Takes a while to get used to. It is like driving on the left side in England.

striker2237

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
um what do you mean run?

Thx for those guides u-gonna-squeal, and you are right about the min/max buttons being a tad confusing lol! And i was just going to use it for internet and typeing (what i think a laptop should be used for anyway) cuz it just a laptop and its nice and compact so gpu performance is kinda irreleivant to me in this case.

techykelly

Honorable
May 2, 2013
An issue that I see often with my clients who are new to Mac OS:

When you close a window quite often it doesn't actually close the program. At the bottom on the Dock, you will see little lights under the open programs. You have to click on the program name (when it is in the top bar) and select quit to actually close the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.