[SOLVED] I'm not getting the full internet speed I'm supposed to.

Dec 28, 2022
I can't seem to be getting my full internet speed with an ethernet cable. I tied plugging the ethernet cable into a laptop right beside my desktop and the laptop was getting 1Gbps download and 30Mbps upload on the speedtest.net speed test. But when I try doing the same speed test from the same server on my desktop, I got 300Mbps download and 30Mbps upload. The speed test doesn't detect the 300Mbps directly. It starts at 60Mbps and starts climbing till the end of the speed test to reach 300Mbps. I tried booting up a live Linux disc to see if Windows was the problem, but it seems like it isn't. I then looked up my motherboard to see if it had an ethernet speed cap and it does, but at 1Gbps. It should be enough for my internet speed, right? If my motherboard isn't the problem then I don't know what is. Here are my computer specs for you to see if anything catches your eye:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-D594G2B
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X58A-UD3R
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, 3060 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. FA, 2010-04-20
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product X58A-UD3R
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1806"
User Name DESKTOP-D594G2B\Ewan
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 20.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 19.2 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 22.1 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.7 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
(I know I have an old computer)

Thanks for any help!

Dec 28, 2022
nvm found an answer to it, mainboard is using realtek network card rated for 1Gbit...
but it runs it in four twisted pairs at 250MB each....this technique is done with PAM5 line coding, which is obsolete now (1000BASE-TX), requires different type of cables

new network card migh be needed or better cables

sources:
spec sheet of your network card, page13
Would this network card work for me?
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TG-34...42268&sprefix=network+car,aps,100&sr=8-5&th=1

It would extremely strange to find any device that support 1000basetx. It was very rare even when it first came out and was a dead protocol from the start. I saw a couple of routers and switches that had support from cisco.
This was way back around year 2000 and your board has web pages for specs even though web did not exist then. This makes it highly unlikely your board is using that. Now it might be and if it is I bet you could sell that board for a lot to someone who collects rare items.

In addition what happens when you attempt to plug a 1000basetx into the modern 1000baset port it will only connect at 100mbps. This would mean you never get 300mbps. Since you do sometime get 300mbps it means the port likely is running at full 1gbit data encoding but there is some other issue.

Since you have already done the key thing I recommend which it trying linux almost has to be some kind of hardware error. Since nic cards are cheap I too would recommend you try that but more because there is some possible strange hardware issue rather than it supporting some older data protocol.