Question I'm not sure if I should use an ethernet splitter or another switch ?

Coel

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I have a Wireless Router/Modem in my living room and I ran 50ft of Cat6 ethernet to my computer room and in the computer room I put a switch. I have two ethernet cables coming out of the switch one to my main computer and the other to the other side of the room. However I don't want to run a third cord of same length to the other side of room. I want divide the cable among two other computers, will I lose a bunch of performance if I use a splitter or should I use another switch?

Router/Modem > 50ft Ethernet > Switch > Ethernet > Computer #1
....................................................................................> Ethernet > Splitter or Switch > Computer #2
...................................................................................................................................................> Computer #3
(I tried to use spacing and it butchered the layout)

Thing is with a splitter, the device/computer NIC sorta has to support it I guess it depends on the config, and I couldn't say if you would have any sort of luck, and would limit your speed to 100mbps witch is vary slow, Better off with a cheap wifi dongle.

A switch would give you 1gbps as long as its rated at 1gbps.

Or you can just move your 50 foot cable and switch to where the other 2 computers are and run 1 wire to computer #1 if thats an option.

Good Luck!

You might as well get a 5 port gigabit switch.

You have to be careful about those so called "splitters". Many are garbage.

The ones that work are just in effect just chopping the ends off the cable and creating 2 cables with 2 paris of wires each. This will limit the speed to 100mbps.

The key thing to be careful of is you need 2 of these units. You put take 2 cable out of your router and plug it into the first unit. You plug a cable to the second unit and then you plug 2 cables into the remote unit.

When you look at the cost of the 2 splitter devices and the extra patch cable you need a small 5 port switch is going to be close the same price.

Reactions: Corwin65

Coel

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I ordered a second switch since its pretty inexpensive, I just bought a duplicate to what I have already which is rated 1gbps. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how the performance is.