Question I'm not sure if my psu will destroy my computer ?

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
In my experience, even crappy PSUs have some kind of safety so that when they go "Poof!" and release a cloud of magic blue smoke they cut power to the motherboard before anything bad happens. However I may just be lucky. YMMV.

Reactions: Quanticriver

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Yeah as the guy above mentioned Gold PSU come with protective layers which prevent your system from getting damage and in your case the EVGA 600w has the ability to protect your system in case of fault it's mentioned on their website.
So you don't have to worry about anything.
And if you aren't overkilling your PSU with power demanding components you are good to go

In my experience, even crappy PSUs have some kind of safety so that when they go "Poof!" and release a cloud of magic blue smoke they cut power to the motherboard before anything bad happens. However I may just be lucky. YMMV.

PC’s are a hobby for me so I don’t work on big numbers. However I have helped rebuild 2 PC’s where a psu has killed other components upon its failure. One was the old green label Corsair CX600 (bad reputation) and the other some no name brand. There are countless threads on here where a psu has killed other components. Now I don’t know what the probability is of damage when a psu dies but damage can definitely happen.

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
its probably a EVGA GD600w

You should probably check on that. You won't benefit (and others could get miffed) if it turns out to be something else.

because some people say it isnt as good quality

I can't find any reviews by any people/sites that actually have the qualifications/ability to properly and fully test power supplies. Briefly looking at end user reviews I can't find anyone complaining about their computer catching fire, exploding, shooting out sparks, or otherwise being destroyed (one end user did have this PSU fail but still awarded it 5 stars since it didn't damage anything and was covered under warranty). I wouldn't worry about "some people" unless it was at least 1/4 of owners or something, and it's not in this case.

PC’s are a hobby for me so I don’t work on big numbers. However I have helped rebuild 2 PC’s where a psu has killed other components upon its failure. One was the old green label Corsair CX600 (bad reputation) and the other some no name brand. There are countless threads on here where a psu has killed other components. Now I don’t know what the probability is of damage when a psu dies but damage can definitely happen.

To clarify, I'm not trying to say death by crappy power supply isn't something that can't happen or deny the experiences of others that have had this occur. My personal experience is likely outdated (and/or luck-filled) since it's mostly from when I used to do custom builds and PC repairs roughly 15 years ago when things were slightly less picky about voltage. I strongly recommend that people NOT beat the hell out of (or use) questionable PSUs.