[SOLVED] I'm noticing my PC getting slower to the point where it is now completely freezing forcing a hard reset from the plug.

benperry1999

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
I built it a few years ago and it worked amazing. Super fast for the games I played even with programs running in the background (Teamspeak, Chrome, Steam..) but now it's taking minutes sometimes to respond even when playing these same games.

I can't even ALT TAB out of games any more or I run the risk of my computer completely locking up on me. I've reviewed the Task Manager and Resource Monitor and the only thing I can see that looks like an issue is the Free Physical Memory which is always extremely low. I don't know if this is a problem as I'm not entirely sure what to look for.

As far as I'm aware my drivers are all up to date. One thing I have noticed is that my computer constantly wants to install updates. The icon next to Shut Down is constantly there even when I update it.

I even got to the point about 6 months ago where I just wiped everything off of the hard drive and reset my computer to factory thinking that perhaps it would help but nope.

I cleaned it 2 weeks ago so there isn't much dust in the case at the moment. Before that was about the same time as I wiped it.

Ran a full scan with Malwarebytes and it found nothing.

Any help is most appreciated.

Specs:

Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor - AMD FX8320 Black Edition
Graphics Card - Asus Nvidia Gtx 960
Motherboard - MSI 970A-G43 AMD 970
Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM - Crucial DDR3 Ballistix Sport 8 GB
HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB
SSD - Kingston Technology 120GB
Power Supply - Corsair CX 430
Case - Antec One Midi Tower

Solution
An example startup process list via CCleaner from my older Win 7 system:

As you can see, three quarters of the processes are disabled on startup. Similar tweaks can be done with Windows services, if you know what they do, and whether you need them.

Also suggest you set a static swapfile, setting the minimum to 512MB and the maximum to 8192MB. Maybe also look at things such as limiting recycle bin size, system restore size (i.e. what percentage of HDD - perhaps limiting number of resotre points to around 5), and turning off any unneeded apps or toolbars. Also disable unecessary browser add-ons.
An example startup process list via CCleaner from my older Win 7 system:

As you can see, three quarters of the processes are disabled on startup. Similar tweaks can be done with Windows services, if you know what they do, and whether you need them.

Also suggest you set a static swapfile, setting the minimum to 512MB and the maximum to 8192MB. Maybe also look at things such as limiting recycle bin size, system restore size (i.e. what percentage of HDD - perhaps limiting number of resotre points to around 5), and turning off any unneeded apps or toolbars. Also disable unecessary browser add-ons.

Solution