[SOLVED] Im only getting 3 Mb/s i usually get 20mbs

Apr 1, 2021
the title really says it all, I usually get 20Mb/s and I'm only getting only and doesn't go higher than 3.5Mb/s.
can someone help?

Last edited:
Solution
And as said in post #5....you NEED to test this via an ethernet cable.

You slow performance via WiFi, is simply because....WiFi.

You NEED to verify, via an ethernet cable, that you're actually getting the 200mbps at the router.
Any fail after that is simply due to WiFi.

And, also as said....20mbps at your PC == 3MBs as reported by Steam.

The only "problem" would appear to be WiFi between your PC and the router.

DSzymborski

Titan
And please make sure you're using the proper abbreviations so that we're all on the same page. MBps and MB/s are very different from Mbps and Mb/s. It will make helping you out quicker by avoiding confusion about when you intend to say megabytes and when you intend to say megabits.

Apr 1, 2021
What is the speed you pay the ISP for?
What are you using to test this?
What is telling you 3-3.5mbps?

Wired or WiFi?
I pay for 200mbps I'm using chrome to test it and I have been also using steam and other applications that when I go to download something it tells me that I only get 3mbs I'm used to getting around 20mbs and now all of a sudden I have only been getting 3mbs and wireless

USAFRet

Titan
I pay for 200mbps I'm using chrome to test it and I have been also using steam and other applications that when I go to download something it tells me that I only get 3mbs I'm used to getting around 20mbs and now all of a sudden I have only been getting 3mbs and wireless
Disregard what Steam tells you.
THere is half the problem.
Steam reports in megabytes, your ISP in megabits.
3.5 MBs from Steam = 20mbps from your ISP.

Second, WiFi.
You can't do an actual performance test via WiFi.
Far too many variables.

Get an actual ethernet cable. Cat5e.
Run it to your router.
Speedtest.net, and see what it reports.
If you're paying for 200 and only getting 20 via the cable...then there is a problem.

But you can't know until you take Steam and WiFi out of the equation.

DSzymborski

Titan

Again. Which is MBps and which is Mbps? They're very different and ISP/Speedtest will give the latter while Steam and actual downloads will give the former.

If you're paying for 20 Mbps and Steam's download manager says you're getting 3 MBps, then things are functioning properly. But then you say 200 "mbps" whatever that is, but at the top say you normally get 20 Mbps per second.

If you aren't willing to give details of what's going on, there's nothing else to do but wish you good luck.

USAFRet

Titan
And as said in post #5....you NEED to test this via an ethernet cable.

You slow performance via WiFi, is simply because....WiFi.

You NEED to verify, via an ethernet cable, that you're actually getting the 200mbps at the router.
Any fail after that is simply due to WiFi.

And, also as said....20mbps at your PC == 3MBs as reported by Steam.

The only "problem" would appear to be WiFi between your PC and the router.

Solution