[SOLVED] I'm paying 25mbps but I'm getting 300mbps after I switched to Ethernet

Daryll Dionisio

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
Hello, this isn't really an issue but more of a concern, I was really surprised when I got 300mbps downspeed and 800mbps upspeed on Speedtest when I'm only paying for 25mbps on my internet plan. I'm concerned if this speed is gonna cost me more and if that's the case, how do I cap this to just 25mbps?

I appreciate any future response :)

Solution
The speeds might be suspect.
800 mbps sounds unlikely for upload.

It is probably to the advantage of the provider to get your internet requests out of the way asap.
Even if it means exceeding what you are paying for.

It reduces the utilization of their network.

I would not worry about it.
Check your bill as to what you are paying for and the cost.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, this isn't really an issue but more of a concern, I was really surprised when I got 300mbps downspeed and 800mbps upspeed on Speedtest when I'm only paying for 25mbps on my internet plan. I'm concerned if this speed is gonna cost me more and if that's the case, how do I cap this to just 25mbps?

I appreciate any future response :)
I wouldn't worry about it. It is not your job (or responsibility) to police your speeds. It isn't even your job to know your speeds, so you can always plead ignorance.
Since you didn't describe what type of ISP hardware you have, it is difficult to know why.
I would just use it and if your ISP identifies it, and corrects it, then you have no complaints.

Just watch your bill. Make sure they are charging for the correct plan. As mentioned there is nothing you could to make it run faster even if you were some hacker. All the limits are controlled within the ISP equipment.
You just make up for all the people where they change the top plan to offer more bandwidth for the same or maybe even less money but then never upgrade all the people on the older plans.

It is probably to the advantage of the provider to get your internet requests out of the way asap.

Solution

Like almost all network things the data really transfers at the full line speed all the time. So if the base network is 1gbit it always transfers at 1gbit. What you see on things like speedtest are average rates. So if it tranfers 1gbit for 1 second and the ISP blocks traffic for 9 seconds you get a average rate of 100mbps.
Good traffic shaping/limiting is tricky and rather cpu intensive for it to function well without large variations in the "average" rate. Part of the reason commercial equipment like the ISP uses is expensive.