[SOLVED] I'm planning a massive PC build in november, help me plan it?

Mar 10, 2019
First of all i'd really like to thank this forum for everything. I have recently upgraded my PC from a ** gt730 spec to a actually decent machine that can run things other than LoL. You guys are the best and i really can't thank you enough. On that note, pretty much title.

My budget will be of around 1.8kUSD at the date. I will build it from scratch and am relying heavily on the di$count$. However i'd like to make a "virtual" build for both the 1.8k budget and for a possible 2.5k budget that is pretty much for including sales.

Ignoring the upcoming launches of Ryzen 3, Navi, RTX super. I'm planning for literally worst case scenario of overpriced current stuff on the market.

So here's the list:

CPU:
Mobo:
GPU:
PSU:
Storage:
Monitor:
# of Fans: (assuming a not garbage 40-50$ case)

(i'm not including case because that varies waaay too much and most recomendations wouldn't even be available in my region).

My first question would be whether i should aim for 1440p 144hz or 1080p 144hz. 1440p seems to blow the budget quite hard mostly because of the monitors and the sheer amound of GPU power i'd need. But i have a 900p monitor rn and would prefer 1440p since 1080p wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

Also, i don't even know if this is the right place to put this post, so sorry in advance if i've screwed up.

Edit: also, i don't have access to a lot o PSU brands, the best ones would be EVGA and Corsair, the rest are like cooler master, deep cool, thermaltake, and cougar, which i don't trust a lot, but you guys can enlighten me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
No need to help you plan it really, since come November, there will be new components on the market, and price and availability of existing components will most likely shift, and it could be you could get something better for a cheaper price then than you would now.

Especially my point with Ryzen 3000 right around the corner.

But sure, let's look at what you can build right now for that budget and you can of course come back and get it tweaked when it comes closer to November.

This is a quick and dirty build, and is by no means fine tuned to perfection to absolutely maximize budget, mainly because it will clearly change come November, for the CPU, MOBO, and even the case since there are some really kick ass cases that will be coming...
So your budget needs to include the monitor? Are you looking for an Intel or amd based setup? I would definitely not ignore the upcoming ryzen launch, as it will be available by November. As well as competitive priced against the 2000 series, and leaked benchmarks are great. They are actually making me consider a switch to amd again.

I'd go 1440p, and not necessarily focus on 144hz. A 2060 should handle 1440/60 fairly easily. With a 2070 easily doing and a 2080 making 144 possible in certain titles. I average 85+ on almost all titles with a 2080 in 1440. And I'm still on a 6600k(4c/4t).

Corsair makes good psu, and I have and really like my hx750i. A bit pricy but it's 80+ platinum and goes on sale often. Scored mine for 129usd.

A lot of the parts on this list I chose as they're higher priced, giving you plenty of room to make changes. Considering the 3000 series should only be about twenty dollars more, you still have room to add/change parts and lower cost quite a bit. The monitor on this list is the one I currently have, andhighly recommend it. Good price and nice display. Thetes a few posts on here that explain how to perfectly setup the colors, but I'm still using mine as is out of the box.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c3FY3b
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($186.49 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - H500i ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.19 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell - S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1910.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-04 01:14 EDT-0400

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
No need to help you plan it really, since come November, there will be new components on the market, and price and availability of existing components will most likely shift, and it could be you could get something better for a cheaper price then than you would now.

Especially my point with Ryzen 3000 right around the corner.

But sure, let's look at what you can build right now for that budget and you can of course come back and get it tweaked when it comes closer to November.

This is a quick and dirty build, and is by no means fine tuned to perfection to absolutely maximize budget, mainly because it will clearly change come November, for the CPU, MOBO, and even the case since there are some really kick ass cases that will be coming out soon that will be priced at about $70 that up until now, you would've paid closer to $100 for.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($28.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.89 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-12 (Black) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1791.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-04 00:46 EDT-0400

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
Solution
The two list just go to show how different builds can be for very similar money. I went with a lesser cpu and pricier components to get a ballpark, as like qwerky stated by November things will change a lot.

Slightly off topic how do post the pcpartpicker list like that? Mine are always just a link.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The two list just go to show how different builds can be for very similar money. I went with a lesser cpu and pricier components to get a ballpark, as like qwerky stated by November things will change a lot.

Slightly off topic how do post the pcpartpicker list like that? Mine are always just a link.
click the BB button at the top of your list to get a BBCode for it.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
What is the main purpose for this new build?
What are your specs now and in what way is it not doing the job.

I have little doubt that you can build a top end pc for your budget.

Look first at the monitor you want.
Buy the best you can afford for your needs.
Monitors last a long time so you will be with it for a while.
Go see them in person if you can.
My inclination would be to look for a larger/wider monitor, preferably in 4k resolution/
Larger/wider is more immersive for gaming
Look for a 178/178 viewing angle

As a guideline for cpu/gpu, budget about 2x the cost of your processor for the gpu if you are a gamer.

If your main use is for multitasking or multithreaded apps, currently ryzen offers the best price per thread.
For pure gaming, intel offers the best single thread performance.

That will change by November when ryzen 3000 should be available.
Nobody knows what ryzen 3000 benchmarks will bring.
And.. do not assume that Intel will quietly slink away from that marketplace.

Spend some time now looking at cases.
Bust your budget to buy a case you love; it will be with you for a long time.

Mar 10, 2019
Hey guys thanks for the answers, clarifying some questions:

1-I intend to use it for gaming
2-I'm ignoring zen 2, navi and RTX super because i want to have some breathing room and using current "soon-to-get-cheaper" hardware is the best way to it i guess.
3-I want 1440p 144hz monitor but i don't intend on using the full 144hz on AAA games, as i'm aware that it takes a RTX 2080 to do so and that's a little off my budget. I intend to stick to 80-100fps in high settings (not ultra) in AAA and 144fps in less demanding competitive ones.

All in all thanks for the suggestions, shame i can only trophy one answer.

Also another thing i learned was that i may have done the currency conversion a little wrong (or didn't account for taxes enough) because monitor prices are a little more on the side of 800$USD around here, and a 1tb SSD would cost something closer to $250, but that's already a huge help!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Twin Video Card ($1049.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($122.97 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - GP12-BK 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.80 @ Newegg)
Total: $1880.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-04 13:27 EDT-0400

This would be without the monitor

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Just to reiterate what's already been said, picking out the parts for a build 6 months in advance is pointless. The only things that aren't likely to change significantly in that time with regard to price/performance would be the PSU and case (maybe monitor). But those components will need to be chosen based on your other components, so even those it doesn't really make sense to pick out this far in advance.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok, now you're telling me that you don't live in USA?

Don't ever do conversion for money for things like this because simply put (and as you noticed yourself with the monitor) both price and availability of components varies a lot between different countries.

So tell us what country you're in and the budget you have in your own currency so that we can better help you build a system.

TRENDING THREADS