[SOLVED] I'm planning to upgrade my rig after price drop but for the meantime what is your suggested gpu for my office cpu

rdccalonge

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Here's my office rig, since we are working at home I want to use it until price drop, currently running at GeForce GT 640 (EVGA) but I want the upgrade to the best possible GPU for the following build:

MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
CPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 16GB
MONITOR: LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080@60Hz)

I'm open to all suggestion! Thanks!

Solution
On graphics, a GTX1050ti would be a nice upgrade.
It is the higher capability cards that are favored for mining.
Tom's GPU hierarchy chart will give you an approximate ranking of cards.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
FWIW, your 640 is approximately the same power as the HD630 in the chart.

Perhaps of more concern is the cpu for CSGO.
It is a cpu centric game that is mostly single threaded.
If performance does not improve when lowering the settings, it indicates that your cpu is holding you back.
Not so much for the 8 threads you have, but for the single thread performance.
Can you overclock a bit?
You may gain some 20% better cpu performance.

Your i7-4770K has 8 threads and a passmark rating of...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Possibly the worst possible time to consider buying a GPU. I mean, demand is so high that Nvidia is re-releasing a 4 yo GPU just to offer supply....

I don't note you specify what you want to use the GPU for. The current system, even if on the 4th gen i7 isn't going to meaningfully use something more powerful than ~ a 1660 level card IMO.

And, as an aside it's a wonderful time to upgrade to Intel. The 10th gen stuff is well priced and quite powerful.

Reactions: rdccalonge

rdccalonge

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks for the reply everyone..
And what cpu do you have?
U typed out your graphics not your cpu

I do have Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz.

Possibly the worst possible time to consider buying a GPU. I mean, demand is so high that Nvidia is re-releasing a 4 yo GPU just to offer supply....

I don't note you specify what you want to use the GPU for. The current system, even if on the 4th gen i7 isn't going to meaningfully use something more powerful than ~ a 1660 level card IMO.

And, as an aside it's a wonderful time to upgrade to Intel. The 10th gen stuff is well priced and quite powerful.

Aside from working I want to play games on it too. I do have EVGA GeForce GT 640 and playing CSGO on low settings and wish to have a decent FPS or at least play COD which is laggy when rendering even on low settings.

or you could wait a month or two before rocket lake (11th gen) comes out

It could be very pricy but could you tell more information and persuade me why is it worth it please thanks!

Power supply is the most important piece here. Without knowing its make/model, we cannot really suggest anything.

I'm using Corsair VS650 PSU

Why is graphics important to you in an office pc?
Your gt640 is perfectly capable of presenting HD movies or anything else a office user might want.
For gaming, that is another matter.

If you do not now use a ssd for windows, that would be my top upgrade suggestion.
A ssd can be moved to a later new build.

I wanted to play decent games on it too.. yes I do have an 500 SSD with GeForce GT 640, but I wish to have a decent FPS at least while waiting on a price drop to buy my own rig.

On graphics, a GTX1050ti would be a nice upgrade.
It is the higher capability cards that are favored for mining.
Tom's GPU hierarchy chart will give you an approximate ranking of cards.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
FWIW, your 640 is approximately the same power as the HD630 in the chart.

Perhaps of more concern is the cpu for CSGO.
It is a cpu centric game that is mostly single threaded.
If performance does not improve when lowering the settings, it indicates that your cpu is holding you back.
Not so much for the 8 threads you have, but for the single thread performance.
Can you overclock a bit?
You may gain some 20% better cpu performance.

Your i7-4770K has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 8060. That is when all 8 threads are fully loaded.
The single thread rating is 2468.
By comparison, the comparable $110 10th gen i3-10100 also has 8 threads and a rating of 8949/2648.
You would need a lga1200 motherboard for $75 as well as a 2 x 8gb ddr4 2666 ram kit for $75.
That would be a sideways change for the most part.

What is exciting about the 11th gen processors is a new architecture that is some 19% faster on a clock for clock basis. This from leaked benchmarks.
The big news will be on the top end K suffix processors.
But, there will also be some I5 6 core/12 thread products that should be of interest.
They will also include strong X3 graphics which may obviate the need for a discrete graphics card.
Being built on the well developed 14nm process, they can be produced cheaply.
We will see.
Here is an article about them:

Your VS650 is an older gen power supply. Not what I would buy new, but it should work perfectly well for any reasonable processor and graphics card.

Solution

rdccalonge

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Wow thanks you basically replied them all! Do you have any good links for safe overclocking? I haven't done it yet. Also I have a friend selling me I7 10700 for $300 is it worth it? or should I wait?

Wow thanks you basically replied them all! Do you have any good links for safe overclocking? I haven't done it yet. Also I have a friend selling me I7 10700 for $300 is it worth it? or should I wait?
Not a good deal.
You can buy a new i7-10700 from microcenter for $250.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...ake-29ghz-eight-core-lga-1200-boxed-processor
Other places are $290 or so.

I would wait.

I would not plan on overclocking.
These new processors have turbo modes that largely obviate the need.
Only if you have batch apps that can fully utilize all threads would overclocking be likely to do you some good.
It is nice to have the option, and the K suffix processors are better binned and will have higher turbo levels than the non K versions.

I meant the 8 cores that I have, you've mention if I can overclock it..

Also you've mention consider buying GTX1050ti any brand suggestion?
You have a K suffix processor and a Z motherboard.
That allows you to overclock.
In the motherboard bios, you should be able to simply change the default multiplier a bit at a time from 35 to a higher number. leave all voltages on auto. I might expect 40 would be reasonable.
You will want a decent cooler to keep temperatures under control(think 80c. during a stress test)
You may also see if there is a bios update that fixes anything relevant.
Since a failed bios flash can be nasty to recover from, I would not flash the bios just on speculation.

I mentioned GTX1050ti for two reasons.
  1. It is a low power card that will work with any psu.
  2. They are relatively available.
I would always buy EVGA as a brand. They have good US customer support and a transferable warranty if you register the card.
They also have a 90 day free trade up offer if you decide that you want a stronger card.
I don't know if that would be useful if stronger cards are in short supply.
Check their web pages for details and conditions.

rdccalonge

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
You have a K suffix processor and a Z motherboard.
That allows you to overclock.
In the motherboard bios, you should be able to simply change the default multiplier a bit at a time from 35 to a higher number. leave all voltages on auto. I might expect 40 would be reasonable.
You will want a decent cooler to keep temperatures under control(think 80c. during a stress test)
You may also see if there is a bios update that fixes anything relevant.
Since a failed bios flash can be nasty to recover from, I would not flash the bios just on speculation.

I mentioned GTX1050ti for two reasons.
  1. It is a low power card that will work with any psu.
  2. They are relatively available.
I would always buy EVGA as a brand. They have good US customer support and a transferable warranty if you register the card.
They also have a 90 day free trade up offer if you decide that you want a stronger card.
I don't know if that would be useful if stronger cards are in short supply.
Check their web pages for details and conditions.

unfortunately EVGA is hard to find here in our country.. I could only find ASUS, MSI/PALIT, Asus and Galax..

Also Someone suggested RX 570 4gb should it be bottleneck?