Aug 23, 2021
Hello there everyone!

SPECS:
CPU: i7 7700
GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1060 6GB
MOBO: ASUS STRIX B250F
RAM: KINGSTON 8x2 GB 2400mhz
PSU: COUGAR 550W

lately, I have been facing this weird problem as discussed here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/unusual-problems-with-my-gpu-help.3720599/#post-22432860 (this post is mostly a follow up)
all these problems happened after the shipment of the entire computer, the computer works perfectly without the GPU, in fact I'm writing this from my IGPU as I also mentioned in the previous post

after what happened there in that post, I went with the computer to a hardware shop he tried booting the computer it didn't post as usual, when he switched the card with a GTX 1050 it worked like a charm, so before he came to the conclusion that my Graphics card is dead, he cleaned the GPU PCI connecter, and Lo and behold it worked, we tried everything restarting the computer plugging and replugging the Power everything that would normally make this graphics card fail, but it still worked.

eventually, when I came home and tried to boot the computer it didn't work this time, although there it worked perfectly, I tried something before I lost all hope in this GPU, I tried to make all his conditions there similar to mine so I was 100% sure that it's the GPU that was the problem, the first thing I tried is laying the computer case horizontally, the GPU worked while the case is laid down horizontally, just to make sure I tried it 3 times while it's vertical and 3 times while it's horizontal, and all the 3 times it worked while it's horizontal and I can't say the same for when it was vertical, so after installing the drivers, playing a couple of games, running the Heaven benchmark and doing all other GPU related stuff, everything seemed normal the fps was normal and the Temps were normal, so I unplugged the computer from the power then went to sleep.

The next day, I replugged the power and clicked the power button and it didn't work restarted the computer this time it worked, but the windows were so laggy and after a couple of mins of booting into windows a black screen with weird colors and artifacts shows up then the computer restarts it happened for like 3 times then the GPU refused to work, ofc I tried booting from my IGPU this time I got a BSOD while booting from the Intel GPU (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) keeps happening no matter how many times I boot the computer, sometimes it tries to repair itself but eventually the BSOD shows up, when I removed the GPU, everything came back to normal even the windows that should be corrupted managed to repair itself.

TL;DR: Computer worked perfectly in the hardware store, but didn't work after I returned home unless I put the case horizontally, The computer didn't work the next day and when I boot from the IGPU while the GPU is plugged in I get a BSOD unless I get the card out

after I returned to the hardware store with the GPU only cuz getting the whole case there is hard, he tried it on a whole different computer and it didn't work there no matter what, he guided me to an official Gigabyte repair shop and he told me that it could be a vbios issue, and they are the only ones that can deal with this GPU, I gave the card to them it will take mostly 3 days as they said, although they didn't inspect it or anything

so my questions are:
what could happen during shipping that would cause all this chaos?
what are the chances of it simply being a vbios issue?
could any other parts be the problem? (yes he tried it on another computer, but it could be that some part in my computer caused the GPU to be in this state)

I'm really sorry for talking a lot T_T, but this is actually my first GPU (decent computer, powerful in my eyes) that I had in my life, so naturally i am trying to do anything to get it back
Thank you in advance :)

Solution
so my questions are:
could any other parts be the problem? (yes he tried it on another computer, but it could be that some part in my computer caused the GPU to be in this state)
it could be either the pcie socket on your board, or the contacts on your gpu, or even the gpu components itself (as horizontal works, might have some damage on the gpu inside). vbios issues usually happens if it got corrupted and wont post even with any kind method mounting you did, so it is better to let gigabyte repair shop to determine if there is any physical damage, wether it is seen by naked eyes, or must require some tools to...
so my questions are:
it could be either the pcie socket on your board, or the contacts on your gpu, or even the gpu components itself (as horizontal works, might have some damage on the gpu inside). vbios issues usually happens if it got corrupted and wont post even with any kind method mounting you did, so it is better to let gigabyte repair shop to determine if there is any physical damage, wether it is seen by naked eyes, or must require some tools to determine it.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution
Aug 23, 2021
it could be either the pcie socket on your board, or the contacts on your gpu, or even the gpu components itself (as horizontal works, might have some damage on the gpu inside). vbios issues usually happens if it got corrupted and wont post even with any kind method mounting you did, so it is better to let gigabyte repair shop to determine if there is any physical damage, wether it is seen by naked eyes, or must require some tools to determine it.
thanks for replying @Koekieezz
I can somehow confirm that there is nothing wrong with the PCIe socket cuz it worked with the cards that I had (sound card, wifi card) and the GTX 1050 worked also
GPU does not work both in the first and second PCIe socket so there is a big chance that there is nothing wrong with it

is there any way for the vbois to get corrupted without any attempt of flashing it?

and more info: the last time I used the computer with the GPU it didn't open no matter what (HDMI in GPU), it always took so much during the boot sequence and gave me a black screen at the end

but I'll leave it to gigabyte's hands, although I am too worried that I will be told "it's fixed" by them then when I return home it doesn't work either immediately or the day after it (like how it always happened)

Aug 23, 2021
What exact PSU is this? Cougar PSUs rank from decent to awful. It likely wasn't the cause of the first problem, but a junk PSU could be the cause of the subsequent issues. It's best to rule out power delivery issues first thing.
the exact PSU model is COUGAR STX550W,
the computer wasn't mine from the start, so the PSU choice isn't to my liking, it worked with him for more than 4 years perfectly with the GPU installed, all the problems started occurring after it was shipped (the first day it was fine)

but here is an update about the gigabyte shop thing: they told me that they will use a heat gun (probably doing some micro soldering or just plain heat the whole GPU and hope for it to work) not really sure if this GPU gonna come back to life, but it looks like i will have to start saving up again

DSzymborski

Titan
the exact PSU model is COUGAR STX550W,
the computer wasn't mine from the start, so the PSU choice isn't to my liking, it worked with him for more than 4 years perfectly with the GPU installed, all the problems started occurring after it was shipped (the first day it was fine)

but here is an update about the gigabyte shop thing: they told me that they will use a heat gun (probably doing some micro soldering or just plain heat the whole GPU and hope for it to work) not really sure if this GPU gonna come back to life, but it looks like i will have to start saving up again

"Works" doesn't necessarily mean "works." Cheap PSUs very commonly damage their parts over time, and unfortunately, this is not one of the good Cougar PSUs, but an ancient, group-regulated one.

How well do you know the previous owner of this PC? A lot of people sell not-working or failing parts as used parts to rip off other people.

The thing you bought doesn't work as promised. Demand a return and your money back.

Aug 23, 2021
"Works" doesn't necessarily mean "works." Cheap PSUs very commonly damage their parts over time, and unfortunately, this is not one of the good Cougar PSUs, but an ancient, group-regulated one.

How well do you know the previous owner of this PC? A lot of people sell not-working or failing parts as used parts to rip off other people.

The thing you bought doesn't work as promised. Demand a return and your money back.
He is my father I inherited the computer from him so I am pretty sure of the quality that I got.

But if the PSU was actually the problem why was the problem limited to the GPU only, as I stated in the main post I am really worried that one of my existent components caused the issue and it was not related to the shipping at all.

But I used the computer for about a month without the GPU and It was running perfectly.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Shipping a PC with the GPU in the socket, probably has bent it, widened the plastic, or overstressed some pins, and made the connection loose. With gravity assisting it works, seems pretty reasonable that it is a mechanical issue.

Aug 23, 2021
Shipping a PC with the GPU in the socket, probably has bent it, widened the plastic, or overstressed some pins, and made the connection loose. With gravity assisting it works, seems pretty reasonable that it is a mechanical issue.
Shipping the computer with the GPU was a problem on my part, I got the SSD and all the HDDs out, but removing the GPU didn't come across my mind.

First week when it booted (rarest thing ever) it worked in any position, only when the hardware shop cleaned the PCIe on the card it became like that, but right now it doesn't work no matter what in my computer or on another computer.

DSzymborski

Titan
He is my father I inherited the computer from him so I am pretty sure of the quality that I got.

But if the PSU was actually the problem why was the problem limited to the GPU only, as I stated in the main post I am really worried that one of my existent components caused the issue and it was not related to the shipping at all.

But I used the computer for about a month without the GPU and It was running perfectly.

A lot of things have similar symptoms and there can be multiple problems at once. You diagnose a PC by narrowing down the potential issues. A junk PSU is a potential issue and generally the first thing to eliminate from the equation. Unfortunately, the issue may have been further complicated by an incompetent store. Between a junk PSU, poor shipping practices, and unqualified technicians, the card may simply be dead; reflowing a card is typically a last resort. So it makes sense to do everything possible to make sure that it doesn't happen with your next card too.

Aug 23, 2021
A lot of things have similar symptoms and there can be multiple problems at once. You diagnose a PC by narrowing down the potential issues. A junk PSU is a potential issue and generally the first thing to eliminate from the equation. Unfortunately, the issue may have been further complicated by an incompetent store. Between a junk PSU, poor shipping practices, and unqualified technicians, the card may simply be dead; reflowing a card is typically a last resort. So it makes sense to do everything possible to make sure that it doesn't happen with your next card too.
Thanks I really appreciate The advice @DSzymborski

Well I am waiting to see if the card is dead or not, if it is actually dead (probably is the case) I am gonna start saving up then selling this PC without the GPU and adding what I got to the money I saved (next gen Ryzen 7 APU is ma dream).
What do you think the computer is worth tho, 500gb SSD and 1tb HDD added?

if it's not dead I am gonna stick with components I have, I almost have no money now, replacing anything is extra hard.

It looks like I am gonna be in the Intel GPU gang for an extra year (been already 5 years)

DSzymborski

Titan
Unfortunately, the GPU was the most valuable part! I think you'd likely do better selling individual parts. Without a GPU, you're competing against a lot of refurbished basic systems.

I'm still hopeful that you'll have some luck with the GPU, but I did want to help prepare you for the worst!

Aug 23, 2021
Unfortunately, the GPU was the most valuable part! I think you'd likely do better selling individual parts. Without a GPU, you're competing against a lot of refurbished basic systems.

I'm still hopeful that you'll have some luck with the GPU, but I did want to help prepare you for the worst!
As of September the 23rd, the GPU is kind of confirmed dead, they informed me that they can't fix the card, the problem was with the PCIE socket and it cannot be replaced or fixed as they said.

So it's saving up time...