I'm so confused, please help !

starlust

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I have an HTPC with ATI Radeon 9550 and a Philips PFL7662d LCD TV which is Full HD. The problem is while the maximum video resolution for my LCD is 1080p, allowed computer resolution is 1024x768. When I connect my computer to LCD and set the resolution to 1920x1080 the image quality drops drastically. When I play a 1080p MKV file the picture looks nicer on 1024x768 than on 1920x1080. And furthermore, on 1920x1080 the image doesn't fit to screen, it's bigger !

On the other hand, when I connect this TV to my PS3 I get excellent image in 1080p.

In this case, what's the meaning of having a Full HD LCD TV if i won't be able to use it with my HTPC ? Is there a way to force computer to send it's signal as a video signal instead of a computer signal ? Do I have to watch all of my full hd movies in 1024x768 resolution while my PS3 can play them in Full HD on same TV ?

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Do you have a native PC input on the TV? If you do and you use it there should be a automatic adjust setting that will oversample/undersample the image to make it look perfect for the tv.
If you do not have this, or are using a different input, you will need to make the adjustments manually. You will need to go into CCC and make the correct settings, adjust image size, ect. There is probably some manual setting on your TV that will allow exact pixel count/oversampling/undersampling. Each TV varies a lot with the terminology used, but most have the adjustments someplace.

starlust

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
But what I don't understand is even if you make adjustments, you never get the perfect picture, it's blurry. On the other hand, a PS3 or another stand alone video player can easily provide a good quality picture as soon as you connect the cable. So what I understand from this is you can never use a HTPC to watch full hd movies in ideal quality compared to a standalone player or another video source.