I'M SO SCARED! IS CORSAIR VS series PSU THAT BAD??

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Oke so i just spent all of my saving in 7 years to buy a new pc my self. It has a gtx 1060 6gb and i3 8100, 16gb ram.
But the problem is the psu. At first it only had a China cheap brand SAMA 400W PSU so i decided to change it to Corsair VS 450w (15$ more) because when i read the internet they said psu is VERY IMPORTANT and you should choose the famous brand like Seasonic, Antec, Corsair,...
But now after i bought it, I did some research on the internet and find out that VS series are very very bad. I'm so scared right now.
I mean in my country 70% of sold psu are cheap brands that you may never heard like SAMA, Huntkey, FSP, raidmax, Anderson Venus,..). And among 450w psu Corsair VS is 2nd expensive.
Can this VS 450 hold my system (gtx 1060, i3 8100, 16gb ram), (and i have a grey version VS with 80+ white Certificated). Is it better than a China brand psu?
https://www.hanoicomputer.vn/nguon-corsair-series-vs-450w-80-plus-white/p41752.html

Wolfshadw

Titan
That power supply should be sufficient for your system. As far as quality is concerned, just remember this. If a company's power supplies were THAT BAD, they'd have been sued out of existence long ago. As for all of the negative press, you need to take that with a grain of salt as well. I mean, when was the last time you saw a YouTube video titled, "ZOMG!!!! I Can't Believe it! My mediocre power supply performs exactly as it's supposed to!!!!"?

-Wolf sends

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

Can "80+ white Certificated" be trust? and how long does a psu normaly last

Wolfshadw

Titan
Can it be trusted? As much as any other power supply.
How long does a PSU normally last? That depends on the manufacturer and is measured by the Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) rate. Your power supply, according to the specs page is rated for 100,000. That means, on average, these power supplies should last around 11 1/2 years.

You'll be fine with that power supply.

-Wolf sends

Look at it this way.

The VS is the cheapest, worst PSU that Corsair makes by far.

It's slightly better than the cheap knockoff's and the only reason Corsair has gotten away with it for so long is that they are sold outside of the US only. They sell their worst units overseas and make them cheap to undercut the real quality PSU's by a lot so they sell a lot of them. They know people will buy the cheapest ones....

Looking at the website you linked to you have plenty of other choices to pick from, and there are some excellent PSU's on the site.

As far as how long it will last, well it's luck of the draw really being it's not a quality PSU in the 1st place.

Since you already have it go ahead and use it for a few years or if you upgrade the PC it should be the 1st thing that is replaced.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair VS series is the worst PSU offered by Corsair and that's a low quality unit. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC without a dedicated GPU and which never sees any high loads, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it.
Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series but build quality wise, they still are worse than anything offered by Seasonic. While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs.

You can cheap out on every other component inside the PC except PSU. Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. Also, while the PSU warranty covers the PSU itself and you can RMA the blown PSU, the PSU warranty doesn't cover any other component the PSU fried.

Most people learn the hard way not to cheap out on a PSU when low quality PSU blows and takes part of the system or the whole system with it. Even entire houses have been burned down because of the fire low quality PSU caused when it blowed up. Not that Corsair VS-series would catch fire but risk of loosing your entire PC would be more than enough of a reason to avoid Corsair VS-series.

Like it or not, if you want your PC to work for years to come without any risk of fire and/or damage to your components, you need to hand out some money for good quality PSU. I'm not talking that you need to go with the best PSU available, e.g Seasonic PRIME 650 Gold,
link: https://www.hanoicomputer.vn/nguon-seasonic-650w-prime-650gd-80-plus-gold/p36216.html
which costs 3.459.000 VND (and which also powers my Skylake build, but mine is 80+ Titanium version). Seasonic S12II-520,
link: https://www.hanoicomputer.vn/nguon-seasonic-s12ii-520-bronze-520w-active-pfc-80plus-bronze/p7065.html
costs 1.529.000 VND and is more than enough for your PC, both wattage and build quality wise (my AMD build was powered by S12II-520 until i bought Focus+ 550 80+ Platinum for it).