[SOLVED] I'm Starting To Look For a Midrange to Slighty Below Midrange Laptop

Jan 27, 2021
I currently own a gaming PC with a 1060x 6GBgpu and an i5 processer that I am content with for the foreseeable future. Ive owned my laptop for several years.
It is a Toshiba Satelite P75- A7200. i7cpu with integrated graphics. It has 4 USB ports, HDMI port, SD card reader, and 2 jacks for speakers and a microphone. I took out the 750gb HDD and placed it into my gaming PC. Ive been primarly using the laptop as a means
to access union sites via Tails USB drive. Its still running strong (aside fom needing a new battery pack, I have to leave it connected to an outlet for it to be functional. I miss haveing a laptop to goof around with diffrent linux distros and everything like that.

I have actually started becoming very interested in learning how to edit pictures,videos, and images as a hobby. So I would like my new laptop to be able to handle these processess with out TOO much trouble. My budget is $400 to an absolute ceiling of $700 if the features are truly worth it. I have no problem with buying used electronics that have been treated right for the most part. If anyone has any suggestion on wat laptops I should be looking at for my goals intended with it, I would appreciate it very much!

Side Note: I need a new wireless mouse. I am right handed and have very large hands. So if you have suggestions in that department I am all years.

There is a local computer repair business that is offering laptops with following specs and price tag.

HP Elite Book 9470M HP ProBook 650 G1
14" Screen No Mention of Scren Size
i7-3667u CPU i7-4600
16gb Ram 16gb Ram
1TB SSSD 500gb SSD
-------------------------------------------------------
$357.00 $408.00

Any thoughts on those two laptops??
Even work making the drive to their store to chem em out.
I appreciate any and all help! I

I hope my post isnt too hard to figure out lol, sorry for that.

1 TB SSD
-------------
$357

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I was trying to avoid spending over $400. The way you put it, it is kinda silly to go that route. I'll pass on those laptops and save up a little more.

Thank You for the help!

Well you can edit stuff on your system, from the specs it has a real quad core i7 4th gen in it, so with enough RAM (at least 8 GB) and an ssd it will run good enough that you won't want to feed it to goats. It just won't render video as fast as a new system at 10 times the price of a new drive.
Not sure why you are looking at those laptops, they look to have the same or slower CPU that is in your Toshiba.

If you want to use it but need a drive, just buy a drive for it and install Windows on that. Just download the same Win 10 version that your system had for Win 7 and it should activate with the license key on the laptop.

Of course if you spend 700 you can get a new faster system but you can just spend 100 on an SSD and get acceptable video editing speeds. Just need to wait more to render the video, but that depends on your cost vs speed tolerance.

This Acer for under 700 should be good for video editing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KKKT15?tag=georiot-us-default-20&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=laptopmag-us-6616317328286877000-20&geniuslink=true

Reactions: PrivacyIsOurRight
I was trying to avoid spending over $400. The way you put it, it is kinda silly to go that route. I'll pass on those laptops and save up a little more.

Thank You for the help!

Well you can edit stuff on your system, from the specs it has a real quad core i7 4th gen in it, so with enough RAM (at least 8 GB) and an ssd it will run good enough that you won't want to feed it to goats. It just won't render video as fast as a new system at 10 times the price of a new drive.

Solution