[SOLVED] Im starting to pull my hair with this cpu (Ryzen 5 3600)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 5, 2020
After numerous posts ive been getting mixed messages about my processors voltages on avrg idle (1,375 - 1,400 and sometimes up to 1,500) some say its ok some say not so ok and some say its dangerous and im just confused and no idea how to fix this so now ive recorded footage to show what i mean precisely https://streamable.com/l3fr94

EDIT: Thanks for drea for his/her continued patience with a Ryzen noob like myself, if anyone is having similar issues please go through our convo below about this.

Things i did that helped:

1. Updated BIOS to latest.
  2. Disabled PBO
  3. Enabled AMD Cool N Quiet
  4. Update Chipset drivers and use the AMD Balanced power plan and make sure min cpu state is 90% and max 100%
  5. Set a rather agressive chasis and cpu fan curves.

Remember that when making changes to the bios i recommend doing them one at the time to make sure they apply so for example: Disable PBO -> exit save (system reboots) -> re-enter bios enable AMD cool n quiet -> Exit save (system reboots)

Last edited:
Solution
Oh yeah and reddit is full of these too thats why im confused people are reporting mass degrading over months...

Until you understand what the cause of degradation is you won't understand what's happening. Most people don't, that's why Reddit is full of mis-information. The article I posted (also on Reddit, but at least a reputable source) tries to explain it.

Voltage isn't the cause, it's current and heat that leads to degradation. High voltage at low current density, and therefore low temperature, is really quite safe. So high voltage of itself is safe but only if it doesn't exceed dielectric stress levels where it can break down oxides. That's two entirely different phenomenon: degradation from electromigration and...
Apr 5, 2020
500ms is good enough.

Your temp's looking pretty good even at 4 min's on p95, only 76C. Your FIT seems to be happy leaving voltage at 1.325 for 3.9G, which is well above base clock speed. That's pretty good performance for a stock cooler...are you on the stock Wraithe?

Now, if you really want to experiment you could lower voltage a notch or two. BUT ONLY DO IT WITH OFFSET. Dial in a negative offset one or two or two notches, then check this again and compare temps and end voltage with another run like this one. You use offsets because it still leaves the algorithm in control of lowering voltage; setting a manual voltage will over-ride everything and try to keep it at a fixed value.

If you're happy with results then make a Cinebench 20 run both multi-thread and single-thread and compare. You have to check performance as it's easy to lower voltage too much and the processor does something called 'clock compression'. Even though it's reporting similar clock speed it's actually performing worse in benchmark like Cinebench.
My CPU cooler is Be Quiet! Pure Rock CT

Here is 2 videos of the cinebench test.

Part 1:https://streamable.com/lix7oc

Part 2:https://streamable.com/gbnje0

At this point i would like to thank you for your patience with a ryzen beginner like myself :) much appriciated!
And what i find intresting is that when the volts are so high why doesnt it boost to advertized 4,2ghz but rather hovers at 3,9ghz - 4,0ghz

Last edited:
And what i find intresting is that when the volts are so high why doesnt it boost to advertized 4,2ghz but rather hovers at 3,9ghz - 4,0ghz
If you want to hit it with the heaviest Prime95 load, run the small FFT option and be sure to enable all the AVX options. Let it cycle through at least two factorings.

How to get it to boost like it should...

In BIOS, make the following settings:
AMD Cool n Quiet - ENABLED
Advanced C States - ENABLED
Processor CPPC - ENABLED
Processor CPPC Preferred Cores - ENABLED

Be sure to have installed the AMD Chipset Drivers and I'm assuming you have the latest BIOS for your motherbord. BIOS is important, AMD only fixed boosting in the last two AGESA code releases.

Now also read the article, download and install 1Usmus' power plan from this link. In fact, read the article first and then make the BIOS settings, that's where i got them.

Once you've done that you're configured probably as best you can be until ready to tweak PBO settings. With HWInfo set up the way you have it (500ms), go drag each of the core ratio readings to the desktop to create 6 graphs with the 6 core ratios presented so you can watch how ratios change from boosting to idling through time. Now go run some light, bursty task. The one I use is a Defender virus scan. Another is to get PCMark10, free edition, on Steam. You should see one or two cores occasionally hitting rated speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerT
Apr 5, 2020
If you want to hit it with the heaviest Prime95 load, run the small FFT option and be sure to enable all the AVX options. Let it cycle through at least two factorings.

How to get it to boost like it should...

In BIOS, make the following settings:
AMD Cool n Quiet - ENABLED
Advanced C States - ENABLED
Processor CPPC - ENABLED
Processor CPPC Preferred Cores - ENABLED

Be sure to have installed the AMD Chipset Drivers and I'm assuming you have the latest BIOS for your motherbord. BIOS is important, AMD only fixed boosting in the last two AGESA code releases.

Now also read the article, download and install 1Usmus' power plan from this link. In fact, read the article first and then make the BIOS settings, that's where i got them.

Once you've done that you're configured probably as best you can be until ready to tweak PBO settings. With HWInfo set up the way you have it (500ms), go drag each of the core ratio readings to the desktop to create 6 graphs with the 6 core ratios presented so you can watch how ratios change from boosting to idling through time. Now go run some light, bursty task. The one I use is a Defender virus scan. Another is to get PCMark10, free edition, on Steam. You should see one or two cores occasionally hitting rated speed.
View: https://imgur.com/6RjuCcl
thats my current bios version.
Ill try all the things you mentioned tomorrow but might update bios now tho.

Formatted my usb a while ago and cant recall what format settings i did choose back then so is there any spesific these days that youd need for a bios update?
I'd use MFLASH from with the BIOS itself. No further setup options to consider.

Instructions should be in your manual. You just unpack the BIOS distribution to the USB stick, then reboot into BIOS and select MFlash. It will then reboot again into the MFlash utility where you pick the BIOS file from the USB stick. Very safe and no worrying about settings. That's what I've done with both of my MSI boards and never a hitch.

Reactions: JerT
Apr 5, 2020
I'd use MFLASH from with the BIOS itself. No further setup options to consider.

Instructions should be in your manual. You just unpack the BIOS distribution to the USB stick, then reboot into BIOS and select MFlash. It will then reboot again into the MFlash utility where you pick the BIOS file from the USB stick. Very safe and no worrying about settings. That's what I've done with both of my MSI boards and never a hitch.
BIOS has been updated to the latest had to apply xmp and restart a few times before it applied the settings and i also enabled amd cool n quiet. disbaled pbo and now im seein 1,1v- 1,4 lightload/idle voltages.

BIOS has been updated to the latest had to apply xmp and restart a few times before it applied the settings and i also enabled amd cool n quiet. disbaled pbo and now im seein 1,1v- 1,4 lightload/idle voltages.
You should also see it boost to the max rated boost clock on the preferred cores if you've enabled that in BIOS.

You should also install the latest AMD chipset drivers. Someone posted a while back that the install is different for BIOS's with 1003ABBA and later AGESA releases to enable full boosting. Don't know if that's true but it's not difficult.

Apr 5, 2020
You should also see it boost to the max rated boost clock on the preferred cores if you've enabled that in BIOS.

You should also install the latest AMD chipset drivers. Someone posted a while back that the install is different for BIOS's with 1003ABBA and later AGESA releases to enable full boosting. Don't know if that's true but it's not difficult.
Max boost on cinebench was 3,85ghz could be due to the fact that ive got pbo disabled but i got a score thats way above an "identical system" also when i updated chipset drivers when i got ryzen master (installing them just installed ryzen master and thats how i actually found out they had their own testing software xD)

Apr 5, 2020
Max boost on cinebench was 3,85ghz could be due to the fact that ive got pbo disabled but i got a score thats way above an "identical system" also when i updated chipset drivers when i got ryzen master (installing them just installed ryzen master and thats how i actually found out they had their own testing software xD)
Here is the finished result (score is down about 100 due to recording)
https://streamable.com/q7dwjf

Btw i added some steps (edited) that i did that helped on the beginning of the thread if any1 else is having a similar problem.

Last edited:
Max boost on cinebench was 3,85ghz ...
OK...you may need to understand how Ryzen boosting can be expected to work...

Ryzen 3000 boosts to max rated clocks on light, bursty loads. Usually one or two cores, one at a time. So if you hit it with a heavy load, like Cinebench, it will only boost to an intermediate clock speed which, as it heats up, will reduce as far as the base clock. It should only go below base clock speed if processor or case cooling is inadequate when under extreme heavy processing loads. Conversely, if cooling is above average it should be able to hold very high intermediate clock speed.

So it won't likely boost to max boost clock speed when running Cinebench since it's an extremely heavy load. Run a light, bursty load to see the boosting and do it when the processor is cool, like right after booting up, to see it best. My 3700x will boost on 4 to 5 cores (never at the same time) if I run a Defender virus scan.

You also need to have only HWInfo open to capture it. Ryzenmaster in particular can put a drag on a system, it's not really a good monitoring program for that reason alone. It's intended purpose was to give overclockers a tool to overclock the processor real-time, without having to reboot to change BIOS settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerT and RodroX
Apr 5, 2020
OK...you may need to understand how Ryzen boosting can be expected to work...

Ryzen 3000 boosts to max rated clocks on light, bursty loads. Usually one or two cores, one at a time. So if you hit it with a heavy load, like Cinebench, it will only boost to an intermediate clock speed which, as it heats up, will reduce as far as the base clock. It should only go below base clock speed if processor or case cooling is inadequate when under extreme heavy processing loads. Conversely, if cooling is above average it should be able to hold very high intermediate clock speed.

So it won't likely boost to max boost clock speed when running Cinebench since it's an extremely heavy load. Run a light, bursty load to see the boosting and do it when the processor is cool, like right after booting up, to see it best. My 3700x will boost on 4 to 5 cores (never at the same time) if I run a Defender virus scan.

You also need to have only HWInfo open to capture it. Ryzenmaster in particular can put a drag on a system, it's not really a good monitoring program for that reason alone. It's intended purpose was to give overclockers a tool to overclock the processor real-time, without having to reboot to change BIOS settings.
Yeah i got it now looked into it i ran a windows defender scan right after boot and it boosted to 4150 for a brief time but on avrg 4000-4100

TRENDING THREADS