im still using a haswell rig

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
I'm still rocking a haswell rig I heard its going to still be a good platform for at least another couple of years. my specs are asus maximus 7 hero motherboard, liquid cooled i5 4690k devils canyon cpu, 16gb of gskill ripjaws x ddr3 ram 1600 mhz. and a gigabyte GeForce 1060 6gb video card. I want to do one more upgrade which is up the ram speed but stick with 16gb. thinking of buying gskill trident x 16gb ddr3 2400 MHz ram.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589&ignorebbr=1

Solution
Its always good to have RAM. Yes 32GB is alot and should only be bought if needed. Therefore if he is maxing out his 16 he needs a upgrade. Most games these days only use 8GB but if you are multitasking or have dual monitors and gaming while streaming or recording etc. You will need a sufficient amount of ram to do it all.

JackM3

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Well the ram is still 16GB DDR3 Really there isnt much of a change. The only time you should logically change the ram is if its outdated or giving you issues. If you want to go to 32GB you could but RAM prices are high right now and its not really getting to much for brand new ram. Just changing the speed wont do very much for the price it is. If you want it to be better buy 16 more gigs of your old RAM so you have 32.

JackM3

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
You can. Going from 16 to 32 should give you a significant improvement. Can you just add more RAM to your RAM you already have or is the RAM slots all used up?

JackM3

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Base line is dont spend $100 on new ram to increase speed a bit. If you want something better you could get 32GB but for the prices I think its best to stick with what you have.

USAFRet

Titan

"I think so" does not count.
What are you actually doing that sucks up 16GB RAM?

You need to know, before changing.

Personally, my main system has 32GB RAM. Why? I often run several VM's at once. Each with 4/6/8GB, 16GB physical RAM would not cut it.

So what are you doing?

USAFRet

Titan

This is true.
But when asked if he was actually 'using' 16GB...the answer was "I think so"

If he is, great. But one would want to actually know before shelling out a lot of money for no actual benefit.
If the max RAM usage tops out at 11GB...increasing from 16GB to 32GB is simply throwing money away.

Identify the problem before applying a solution.

JackM3

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Its always good to have RAM. Yes 32GB is alot and should only be bought if needed. Therefore if he is maxing out his 16 he needs a upgrade. Most games these days only use 8GB but if you are multitasking or have dual monitors and gaming while streaming or recording etc. You will need a sufficient amount of ram to do it all.

Solution