Im Stuck between VA and IPS

Sohan Patel

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
I know that there have been topics on this before, but times change, and I want the most up-to date opinions. I am looking at a 27" 1440p, 144hz g-sync, IPS or VA monitor. The VA panels are a bit cheaper, but I have an IPS display right now, and I am worried that I will hate the inferior colors. How big is the difference between the 2 panel technologies? I play lots of fast-action shooters, like overwatch, but still enjoy games like Ori, and still want to appreciate the colors and art in games like that, without sacrificing FPS performance. I will be driving the monitor with a 1080ti, so no issues with 1440p performance.

Solution
I got this awesome LG 31" VA 1440 (up to 144hz, which is more than plenty fast) Gsync. Colors, Contrast, everything is awesome. I play shooters and racing games with my 1080 card. The only thing I can complain about is the pixel density with 31", but it's not really an issue to me.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
I got this awesome LG 31" VA 1440 (up to 144hz, which is more than plenty fast) Gsync. Colors, Contrast, everything is awesome. I play shooters and racing games with my 1080 card. The only thing I can complain about is the pixel density with 31", but it's not really an issue to me.

Solution

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

samsung's VA monitor only has 1ms responds time. so i would say it depends.

But it seems every other VA monitor is not very good for gaming. so i did recommend a IPS monitor. i would also recommend Acer predator XB271HU. its £100 cheaper than the next cheapest competitor. i just got one, and its perfect so far(The TN version is a dud for me tho)