Question I'm stuck in an infinite boot/startup when turning my PC on. Please help, I'm new to PCs.

Mar 29, 2020
Hello,

I'm new to PC building/knowledge. My friend told me to post here with my problem.

I would post my computer specs, but I'm not even sure where to find that information. The problem arises when I try to start my computer, it worked fine last night, but now everytime I try to turn it on it just gets stuck on this black screen with the Windows logo and a wheel at the bottom that continuously rotates. Sometimes it tries to auto repair, and sometimes it doesn't. My friend helped me try to log in through safe mode and I was able to do that, but I didn't know what to do once i got that far. I have also tried restoring my pc to a week ago, but then when I tried starting it up again it just went back to the black loading screen.... I also tried to do a cmd prompt where I found which drive had Windows installed and tried to restore that way but it found 0 files?? I'm not sure why....

Please help, I can't take my PC in to be fixed because of the virus, and I need it for work.

Thank you in advance!

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it worked okay in safe mode, its likely the problem is just software.

Do you have access to another PC?
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Do you have anything on the PC you cannot lose? I can show you how to copy things off it onto a USB or similar

these are the screens that you went through on way to safe mode - try this to save any info off PC:
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

You tried system restore (the week thing), we could try a reset as its on the Troubleshoot menu of advanced startup (blue screens you went through on way to safe mode) and it might fix problem without us needing to use the installer.

if you can't get to these screens, there is a way via the installer but we will need to change settings in BIOS and I would need to know what motherboard you have then.

Mar 29, 2020
if it worked okay in safe mode, its likely the problem is just software.

Do you have access to another PC?
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Do you have anything on the PC you cannot lose? I can show you how to copy things off it onto a USB or similar

these are the screens that you went through on way to safe mode - try this to save any info off PC:
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

You tried system restore (the week thing), we could try a reset as its on the Troubleshoot menu of advanced startup (blue screens you went through on way to safe mode) and it might fix problem without us needing to use the installer.

if you can't get to these screens, there is a way via the installer but we will need to change settings in BIOS and I would need to know what motherboard you have then.

I do have access to a laptop, but unfortunately our internet is down at the moment and we are waiting for a new modem to be shipped to us, hopefully by the end of tomorrow at the latest.

I have a windows 10 usb that I bought at best buy, will that work?

Should I try a system restore before doing anything in cmd?

Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I do have access to a laptop, but unfortunately our internet is down at the moment and we are waiting for a new modem to be shipped to us, hopefully by the end of tomorrow at the latest.

I have a windows 10 usb that I bought at best buy, will that work?

Should I try a system restore before doing anything in cmd?

Thank you!
that USB is better than nothing.

it can access all the menus I mentioned above.

We just need to set the bios up to boot off the USB and with your motherboard its pretty easy. If you look on page 86 of your manual (Link below) it shows Boot override.

If you put USB in PC, boot it up and go into bios, go to the exit screen and select Boot override, you should be able to choose the USB and PC will boot from it. You need to do that each time you want to start from USB

if you boot off the WIn 10 USB, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install - that will take you to the blue menu although you can't access safe mode off the USB.

I thought you tried system restore already and it didn't find any files the last time? Guess its worth a try but since it didn't help last time, it might not again. System restore isn't the best. all it does is takes system settings back to the date you choose. Its not reliable at fixing problems.

Sometimes it tries to auto repair, and sometimes it doesn't.
this is normal, auto repair only runs every 3rd failed start.

for my reference:
Your motherboard - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Steel Legend/index.asp
your motherboard user manual - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X570 Steel Legend.pdf

try booting off the USB and run sys restore, if this doesn't work, then try copying anything off PC you can in case the reset you might need to do, to repair this, doesn't fix it.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020
The repair didn't work, when I go through notepad I looked at my D drive which stores my Windows 10, and all the files are empty. I'm not sure why or how this happened, should I try to reinstall Windows 10 from my stick? I tried the "i dont have a product key" to keep my files, but I hot an error message saying I needed to have windows 10 installed first. So I'm starting to think that it somehow got completely erased.... gah!!!

Mar 29, 2020
So I went ahead and just re installed windows, I lost all my files, but whatever, I'm sick of this already. But now, two out of my three monitors don't turn on after logging into the PC, at this point I'm about ready to throw the whole thing out the window and go on a rampage into the wilderness never to be seen again.

<mode edit - Language>

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So I went ahead and just re installed windows, I lost all my files, but whatever, I'm sick of this already. But now, two out of my three monitors don't turn on after logging into the PC, at this point I'm about ready to throw the whole thing out the window and go on a rampage into the wilderness never to be seen again.

<mode edit - Language>
I appreciate you are upset but that might be a little extreme. I should have asked someone to watch this thread as I been busy recently.

If the photo still worked I would look at what GPU you have. Expect you just need to install the drivers for it again.