I'm stuck on Windows 10 installation

aaronhacker

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I needed to do a clean wipe of Windows 10 as a maintenance (suspected virus) on my HP Compaq 8200 Elite. Whenever I try to install Windows, no matter what combination of formats, deletes, and new partitions I do from the installation custom menu, I always get the error "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed." I have tried to a diskpart clean, but it tells me that the current drive is the location of the boot partition, so it can't be done. I try to key every combination of function keys and esc, and nothing happens. So the bios were probably wiped. I can't boot into the starting OS anymore because that was wiped. I'm now left with a ginormous paperweight and I don't know what to do to fix it. Will I have to get a new computer?

Solution
You might want to try ordering a recovery disk from HP to see if you can get the original OS installed and then upgrade back to Windows 10.

Instructions are about 1/3 of the way down on this page

-Wolf sends
Is this the only drive in the computer? If you have a second HDD or SSD disconnect that when installing Windows. When you formatted the drive did you specify GPT when partitioning the drive (assuming you are using 64bit Windows 10).

https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

The Diskpart clean should have worked. Do you have access to another computer that you can install your drive as a secondary drive and try to format it?

You have to boot from windows installation media and clean the drive, where windows will be installed.
Either you're not booting from windows installation media or you're trying to clean the wrong drive. That's why you get this error.

What type installation media is that?
DVD disk? USB flash disk? Partition on HDD?
Can you post command output of:
  • diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    list partition

aaronhacker

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I got the diskpart to clean the disk, but I'm still getting the error. I don't know what else to do. I'm guessing I'm going to have to go out and get a new hard drive.

And you did disconnect all of your drives accept the target drive, as was previously suggested to you?