Question I'm stumped

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey everyone!
I have a GA-B250M-DS3H Gigabyte mobo, with an old dual core processor. I decided to upgrade to an I7 6700K CPU, with a Hyper evo 212 cooler. After I got everything put back together it would not boot. So after troubleshooting everything I could think of I put it back to the original set up, Old processor and cooler and it's still not booting :( . I've tried rearranging the RAM to every possible spot and that's not it. The only thing plugged in is the Monitor keyboard and mouse. Nothing else, no HDD, CD drive or anything. It should boot up to BIOS right? All I get is the fans spin for a sec and then stop. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What CPU was in it before? (how old could the CPU have been, other than 6th/7th gen? I'm concerned only to verify that we are for sure dealing with a B250 mainboard, as certainly no 'old duo core' would have been working in it)

Pull power, pull the BIOS battery, and hold down pwr button for 20 sec.

Reinsert battery, reconnect power...

As you installed a Hyper 212, does it involve any sort of backplate installation? double check that nothing shorted, and, that ATX CPU PWR is connected to mainboard...

You might have to inspect socket for damage....(not that you'd really be able to do much there anyway)

It's always possible your PSU gave up the ghost at that specific moment, but, we won't kow wihtout testing another known good one...; and if you do try another PSU, do NOT mix ANY modular cables between the two PSUs...)

Reactions: egda23

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
So the old CPU is G4560 = 2 cores for sure. Was working just fine before the "upgrade" . I got the "GA-B250M-DS3H" off the mobo. The Hyper 212 does involve installing a back plate. AND I tried a different PSU as well and it didn't work either. I removed and replaced the BIOS battery as suggested, still nadda. :(

Oh yeah--damaged bad too. :( It melted. :( It could have been a defective cpu from the get go, but if it wasn't your cpu is probably damaged too at this point. This is an upgrade gone wrong for sure. :( Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I'd contact Intel and your motherboard manufacturer because if there was a manufacturing defect that caused this, you've at least got some warranty to help you out.

InvalidError

Titan
The two pins in the middle of the charred area are bent while everything else looks basically intact so if I was an RMA person looking at that board, I'd blame user error especially given that the motherboard had been working fine for a long time prior to the incident. Pins rarely decide to short together on their own.

Unfortunately, it is easy to damage a socket pin if you do not drop the cpu in cleanly.
If you smoosh it around to get it seated, You will damage pins.

Damaged pins are considered user error and not considered for rma.
I once sent a damaged motherboard to gigabyte for socket replacement, and it cost me $50.

Before you give up, use a needle to try to straighten the pins.

The two pins in the middle of the charred area are bent while everything else looks basically intact so if I was an RMA person looking at that board, I'd blame user error especially given that the motherboard had been working fine for a long time prior to the incident. Pins rarely decide to short together on their own.
When I see an electrical burn like that, I would also suspect something failing. Bent pins can be bent back and then it can be sent off.

Unfortunately, it is easy to damage a socket pin if you do not drop the cpu in cleanly.
If you smoosh it around to get it seated, You will damage pins.

Damaged pins are considered user error and not considered for rma.
I once sent a damaged motherboard to gigabyte for socket replacement, and it cost me $50.

Before you give up, use a needle to try to straighten the pins.
I would bend the pins back, but trying something else in it wouldn't be a good idea at this point imo. It would suck to fry the original processor trying to make it work like it once did.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Thanks Everyone!
I Really Appreciate all the input, you guys are awesome! I ordered another cheap motherboard last night. I should have it tomorrow. It's an ASRock Fatal1ty B250M. I'm pretty sure the original is out of warranty. It probably happened installing the Hyper 212 Evo Cooler. I'm a freakin' bull in a china closet! The new processor "looks" fine. I'll find out tomorrow. The only other thing I'm concerned about is, will a video card fit in there with that cooler? What do you guys think about that? and what do you think I should get? I didn't even realize it didn't have one until I opened it up. I mainly use this PC for Recording stuff in Ableton Live.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks again for all the help! I love Tom's Hardware!

Beau

Last edited:

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey Everyone!
So I got my new Motherboard, ASRock Fatal1ty B250M and installed the new processor and Hyper 212 cooler and it Booted up!! Woohoo!! NOW it would appear I'm have memory issues. All I did was added 2 4GB modules. At first I just added the 2 new to the 2 old and got the 4 beep memory code. So then I put in just the 2 old ones and it boots up fine. So then I tried the 2 new by themselves and same 4 beep code. No boot. Then I tried just 1 of the new ones and it booted up fine. So I left out the other and added back the 2 old and this time no boot and no beeps either. So for now back to my original 4GB x 2 setup.

Here are the New one's I got (One works fine by itself) add anything else to it though and no go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMLUZ2I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The old ones, which seem to work just fine, I can't seem to find where I got them from but here's a picture. The old that works is on the left. New on the right. They SHOULD be compatible right?

Should I send back the new ones as defective? Should I just get all new RAM. I really don't think I would need more than 16GB total.

What you guys think?

Thanks!

Beau