Mar 16, 2019
So, I currently have two different motherboards and I want to change it to an 1155 socket from 1156 (i5-750) so I can use my i7 3770 cpu. But the problem is that I'm not sure of what extra components i need before switching them. The only thing that I know is that both motherboards are micro-atx, and that I need to measure the watts for the power supply. But i am completely lost on everything else and i don't know what i should do.

____
Current Specifications :

CPU
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz 60 °C
Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz

Motherboard
Intel Corporation DP55WB (J1PR)

Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (MSI)

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1

____
And this is the motherboard that I want to use:

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0NW73C

____
What I think the outcome should be like (please correct me here I don't know what i'm doing) :

CPU
i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
ivy bridge 22nm tech

RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (Same one as the old motherboard's RAM)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0NW73C

Graphics
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (MSI) (Same one as old motherboard)

Storage (Same HDD).
____

Thank you for looking in, Appreciate it a lot.

Solution
I'm not trying to swap cpu's, I am swapping the whole motherboard. The i7-3770 fits in the new motherboard, and I know that the motherboard supports DDR3, so that wont be much of a problem. And i didn't get what you meant by the BIOS code or the PCIe lanes if you could explain those i'd appreciate it. (btw if i sound stupid please dont mind me, i dont know much about these things)
Some motherboards are more picky about ram than others. Just because a certain set of ram works in one motherboard doesn't mean it will work in a different one, even if both motherboards support DDR3 ram. Usually, getting un-matched ram to work together is problematical at best. Ram manufacturers sell matched sets for a reason.

If you were to...
I don't think your project can be successful. There is a lot more to consider than the number of pins in the socket, e.g. the BIOS code to support the desired CPU, the PCIe lanes in chipset and/or CPU, etc.

Just forget about swapping CPU's and get the CPU, motherboard, and RAM modules you need do a new build.

Reactions: gucci_crockpot
Mar 16, 2019
I don't think your project can be successful. There is a lot more to consider than the number of pins in the socket, e.g. the BIOS code to support the desired CPU, the PCIe lanes in chipset and/or CPU, etc.

Just forget about swapping CPU's and get the CPU, motherboard, and RAM modules you need do a new build.
I'm not trying to swap cpu's, I am swapping the whole motherboard. The i7-3770 fits in the new motherboard, and I know that the motherboard supports DDR3, so that wont be much of a problem. And i didn't get what you meant by the BIOS code or the PCIe lanes if you could explain those i'd appreciate it. (btw if i sound stupid please dont mind me, i dont know much about these things)

Some motherboards are more picky about ram than others. Just because a certain set of ram works in one motherboard doesn't mean it will work in a different one, even if both motherboards support DDR3 ram. Usually, getting un-matched ram to work together is problematical at best. Ram manufacturers sell matched sets for a reason.

If you were to have a problem getting the new build to work, I suspect that the ram would be the issue.

Also, when changing motherboards, it is recommended to do a clean install of Windows,

Solution
Don't worry anything about PCI lanes and things like that.

What you want to do is fairly straight forward, but what you may need to do is the following
Once all hardware has been swapped over, you may need to enter the BIOS and make sure it can see your HDD and recognise your CPU

You may need to reinstall windows again on your hard disk - If so, you could possibly lose everything on that hard disk.

Don't worry anything about PCI lanes and things like that.

What you want to do is fairly straight forward, but what you may need to do is the following
Once all hardware has been swapped over, you may need to enter the BIOS and make sure it can see your HDD and recognise your CPU

You may need to reinstall windows again on your hard disk - If so, you could possibly lose everything on that hard disk.
What I would suggest doing, is to FIRST make a complete backup of your HDD, then start to swap out the motherboard and CPU. THEN do a fresh install of Windows, and restore your data. A fresh (clean) install of Windows will require a re-install of ALL of your programs and applications.