Question I'm thinking of buying a box fan and put on the side of the computer

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I have the resolution 2560 x 1440. The GPu temperature is like between 60 and 66 degrees in 2560 x 1440. My room gets hot after about 15 to 20 minutes of gameplay. I lowered the resolution to 1920 x 1080 for like 15 to 20 min the gpu temperature was between 40 and 50 degrees and the room was getting cooler. I was thinking about downgrading to 1080 to keep the room cooler or get a portable air conditioner to stay at 2k. What would you suggest?

kanewolf

Titan
I have the resolution 2560 x 1440. The GPu temperature is like between 60 and 66 degrees in 2560 x 1440. My room gets hot after about 15 to 20 minutes of gameplay. I lowered the resolution to 1920 x 1080 for like 15 to 20 min the gpu temperature was between 40 and 50 degrees and the room was getting cooler. I was thinking about downgrading to 1080 to keep the room cooler or get a portable air conditioner to stay at 2k. What would you suggest?
65C is not an issue on a GPU. So it is just a personal preference. Is the extra cost and noise for an AC unit worth it ? Only you can make that determination.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Temperature matters little. It's how much power you're using.
More power = more heat produced = more quickly your room heats up, if there is no immediate means of pushing that heat out of your room.

2080Ti doesn't have to work as hard at 1080p, so it uses less power.
I live in a subtropical climate, and thus am running this space heater(PC) + air conditioning during the hot seasons... a bit silly looking at it that way. Folks who have cool weather year 'round, I envy them a little...

Undervolting the gpu should slow down the process a little, but it means having to run EVGA Precision software every time you want to play.

Up to you how you want to deal with this problem.

It also sounds like if the room is significantly warming up from the computer doing something, there's a lack of air circulation in the room. I'd advise against the AC option unless the outside temperature is also unbearably hot and invest in a fan to circulate air through the rest of the home from your room.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
S
Temperature matters little. It's how much power you're using.
More power = more heat produced = more quickly your room heats up, if there is no immediate means of pushing that heat out of your room.

2080Ti doesn't have to work as hard at 1080p, so it uses less power.
I live in a subtropical climate, and thus am running this space heater(PC) + air conditioning during the hot seasons... a bit silly looking at it that way. Folks who have cool weather year 'round, I envy them a little...

Undervolting the gpu should slow down the process a little, but it means having to run EVGA Precision software every time you want to play.

Up to you how you want to deal with this problem.
i don't agree about undervolting the card then why have it at all? When it becomes summer it will be hot to the point that i won't be able to use the computer at all.what about a enclose for the computer case

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i don't agree about undervolting the card then why have it at all? When it becomes summer it will be hot to the point that i won't be able to use the computer at all.
Because of how the built in Gpu Boost works in Nvidia's 10 - 30 series, you can yield the same or better performance out of it while having it use less power. That's a win-win, IMO.
Motherboards supply more voltage to cpus than they need by default. Same thing happens with those gpus.

The summers are hot where I live too(some days are warm during the spring and fall too), so I gotta run air conditioning; it's not enough to run a pedestal or box fan and position it in my room such that they blow the PC's exhaust right out the door or window.
Like @hotaru.hino brings up, it's just as hot outside during that time, unless it's raining.

"What about a enclose for the computer case?"
The heat has to go somewhere. A PC is a space heater. You shouldn't want to trap it inside the PC... so you either find a means to guide that heat directly out of your room, or invest in air conditioning.
The former is going to be the cheaper one, but likely won't be the most comforting.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I never had this issue before. They need to lower the design of this video cards. I'm thinking about getting an 3060 for 1080p gaming and hopefully this will fix the problem. ITX will not work cause everything will be crammed into the computer causing more heat than before.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They need to lower the design of this video cards.
Well, people continuously want faster and faster products, and it appears not too many care about how much power is needed to get there... (see the percentage that voted, Yes(heat))
With the exception of ray tracing, AMD's RDNA 2 gpus are going head to head with Nvidia's, while being more power efficient, so the latter is doing what they can to stay on top of performance and mindshare... power use be damned... and it's working.

"ITX will not work cause everything will be crammed into the computer..."
There are some airy ITX PCs out there, which in a number of instances, are even more efficient than mid or full size ATX ones, because the fans are closer; the cooler room air doesn't have to travel as far to the components that need it.
See Fractal's Torrent Nano, Thermaltake Core V1, SSUPD Meshlicious, and Phanteks Evolv Shift Air, for examples.

"... causing more heat than before."
It doesn't matter if the gpu core - or some of the other parts, for that matter - is running at 80C, or 40C. 300w+ is still 300w+ that is being dissipated into your room.

Reactions: Satan-IR
depends on the system-wide cooling setup, the case it is housed in, the ambient temperature in the room, and many other factors.
the case being the biggest factor.
but the airflow provided by the fans, their location, their orientation, and the fan speed curve profiles being used are all integral.

what issues with temperatures are you facing exactly?

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
depends on the system-wide cooling setup, the case it is housed in, the ambient temperature in the room, and many other factors.
the case being the biggest factor.
but the airflow provided by the fans, their location, their orientation, and the fan speed curve profiles being used are all integral.

what issues with temperatures are you facing exactly?
When i'm playing any game that is 2560 x 1440 the temperature is like between 60 to 75 degrees which to me is too high. After 20 minutes of gameplay the room gets hot and i have to stop playing wait for the room to cool down. I'm tired of this. But I'm tryingnot to buy as portable air conditioner. It seems the bigger these video cards the more heat they have. I'm thinking of downgrading to 1080p and get like a 3060 ti. It seems when I lower the graphics from ultra to medium it gets cooler. But I like to have high graphics. The better the graphics the more you will enjoy it

When i'm playing any game that is 2560 x 1440 the temperature is like between 60 to 75 degrees which to me is too high. After 20 minutes of gameplay the room gets hot and i have to stop playing wait for the room to cool down. I'm tired of this. But I'm tryingnot to buy as portable air conditioner. It seems the bigger these video cards the more heat they have. I'm thinking of downgrading to 1080p and get like a 3060 ti. It seems when I lower the graphics from ultra to medium it gets cooler. But I like to have high graphics. The better the graphics the more you will enjoy it
It's not going to change anything. The amount of heat your computer is generating will be constant regardless of what temperature the components are in. That heat has to be dumped somewhere, and that somewhere is going to be your room. To put this in a more extreme example, it's like turning on a space heater and asking if putting a box fan in front of it will help things in your room because it gets too hot.

Fix your room first. Unless it's like over 32C all the time outside, start circulating outside air through your room and home.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
It's not going to change anything. The amount of heat your computer is generating will be constant regardless of what temperature the components are in. That heat has to be dumped somewhere, and that somewhere is going to be your room. To put this in a more extreme example, it's like turning on a space heater and asking if putting a box fan in front of it will help things in your room because it gets too hot.

Fix your room first. Unless it's like over 32C all the time outside, start circulating outside air through your room and home.
I have opened my window and does not change a damn thing

I have opened my window and does not change a damn thing
If you didn't put the fan against the window, then you're at the mercy of natural convection with is slow. You have to put a fan in the window to force air to flow. However, opening just one window won't help. And while I don't know your home's layout, in my case what I do is open the window in my room, open a window on the other side of my place, and place a box fan facing out on the other window. It cools down my room within minutes.

When i'm playing any game that is 2560 x 1440 the temperature is like between 60 to 75 degrees
75°C is a bit high for me but you won't be able to stay lower than 60° for CPU & GPU without a custom full system liquid loop or something else absurd like liquid nitrogen.

my current setup never passes 60°C even with the most demanding games @ 3440x1440, 120fps, with the highest settings available.
it's all about your airflow throughout the case, fan setup, fan specs, and the ambient temperature in the room.

this is central FL where it's >90°F the majority of the year and usually in the 60-70s even throughout the winter.
i keep the AC ~77°F, a ceiling fan on high, and a small portable fan blowing over my body from under the desk and my office never gets much warmer than the rest of the house.
when it's lower than 70°F outside i open a window and it helps a lot.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Always external cooling. Run a water cooling loop through the system and place the radiator in another room or have it exhaust out a window. (You can reverse this in the winter and use it for heating)

Or move the system to another room and use long cables or a thunderbolt dock. That room is going to get toasty. I've seen people use closets and the like, but that only works until the closet is warmed up. So you still need an exhaust fan or something.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As said in your other thread, 300w is still 300w(or whatever the actual value the PC uses while you game), regardless of how hot or cool the components themselves are operating at.
It's still mixing with your room ambient and heating that up. The more power you use, the faster that warms up, as well as increases(until it reaches an equilibrium).
It needs to be immediately directed out of your room or solved by force, or nothing will change.

Moving the PC to another room and running it from there, as suggested by Eximo.
Brute force it with air conditioning.
Install a fan in the window to suck the air inside your room, which is being warmed by the PC, and blow it outside. Might be slow-going, or ineffective, depending on the relative distance of the PC to the window.
Install a pedestal fan next to the PC, aim it at the doorway to your room, and remove the heat that way. Might be closer than the above method.

DSzymborski

Titan
The threads have been merged. Let's keep this to one thread only.

To fix your problem, you first need to understand exactly what's going on.

Your room isn't getting hot because of inadequate cooling. Wattage is energy and the heat has to go somewhere. The better the cooler, the more efficiently it removes heat from your PC and transfers it to the environment outside the PC. The same components in an ITX case don't create more heat, it's just harder to move the heat from the PC components to the environment.

If you need to cool down the environment, then the only solutions will involve moving out the heat in the room and bringing in cooler air into the environment. One way to do that is to have a fan blowing out the window, but there still has to be cooler air from somewhere else, such as a cooler area in the house, to bring in (which should naturally happen as you're blowing air out the window). If the rest of the house is hot, then it won't cool down your PC room.

If not from a cooler area of the house, you'll either need an air conditioner or wait until the temperature outside is lower than the temperature inside and bring air from outside into the room.

And failing that, your only solution to lower the temperature will be to generate less heat. Which means less wattage. A 3060 will use less power than a 2080 Ti, though with significant sacrifices in performance as well.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
The threads have been merged. Let's keep this to one thread only.

To fix your problem, you first need to understand exactly what's going on.

Your room isn't getting hot because of inadequate cooling. Wattage is energy and the heat has to go somewhere. The better the cooler, the more efficiently it removes heat from your PC and transfers it to the environment outside the PC. The same components in an ITX case don't create more heat, it's just harder to move the heat from the PC components to the environment.

If you need to cool down the environment, then the only solutions will involve moving out the heat in the room and bringing in cooler air into the environment. One way to do that is to have a fan blowing out the window, but there still has to be cooler air from somewhere else, such as a cooler area in the house, to bring in (which should naturally happen as you're blowing air out the window). If the rest of the house is hot, then it won't cool down your PC room.

If not from a cooler area of the house, you'll either need an air conditioner or wait until the temperature outside is lower than the temperature inside and bring air from outside into the room.

And failing that, your only solution to lower the temperature will be to generate less heat. Which means less wattage. A 3060 will use less power than a 2080 Ti, though with significant sacrifices in performance as well.
i'm willing to downgrade to 1080p