Question I'm thinking of switching from windows to macbook, is it worth it ?

Lukasamba

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hello, i'm student right now, i'm studying software engineering (programming/coding) at university, i have a 2 years old gaming laptop, lenovo legion y520, it has i5-7300hq, gtx 1060 6gb, 8gb ddr4, 128gb ssd + 2tb hdd. I am thinking of selling this laptop and buying apple laptop, just don't know is it worth it or not. First of all, at first when i bought this laptop, i have been gaming a lot, but recently i bought ps4 pro and i only use this laptop for coding/studies/browsing/some business (i'm selling stuff). Rarely i play rocket league or world of tanks on this laptop and that's it, everything else i play on console. My laptop's battery lasts like 2/3 hours at best when in battery saver mode, so battery is one of the most important things for me. I saw that macbook's lasts like ~10 hours, that's what i need. Other thing, i have iphone x, i like how well it runs, it has no lags at all (very rarely cases it crashes or freezes), i heard that macbooks are optimized as well, so another point. Another thing, my laptop gets hot fast and it is not lightweight, i heard (if it's true) that macbooks are lightweight and doesn't get hot most of the time. For studies, i use ms visual studio, visual studio code, intelliJ... Are macbooks suitable for coding ? And what about macbook air ? Those laptops have only 2 cores cpu... Does it lag ? Is it fast or is slow ? Is macbook pro worth over macbook air ?
And in the end, if i sold this laptop and bought macbook air 2019, would i be happy or disappointed for trading power for battery/ease of use ?
Please share your thoughts.

DSzymborski

Titan
It only really makes sense if there's software on the Mac that's a "must have" option for you. Otherwise, a Mac at the same price of a PC will almost always be far less powerful, well past the level of being able to feel the difference.

Lukasamba

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
It only really makes sense if there's software on the Mac that's a "must have" option for you. Otherwise, a Mac at the same price of a PC will almost always be far less powerful, well past the level of being able to feel the difference.
I mean, i don't need that "gaming" power anymore.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Apple offers a really nice universe for all their products to work well with each other within and it's OS is touted to be very stable. In my own opinion I feel that the product is overpriced for the actual component and is a case of brand premium. It's like a "club" that you pay extra to be a part of.

Lukasamba

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
I know that macbook's costs more because of apple brand, price per performance is bad, but i bought iphone x and i didn't regret it, actually, i will only buy apple phones, i think it's personal preference, for me it's so easy to use.

I know that macbook's costs more because of apple brand, price per performance is bad, but i bought iphone x and i didn't regret it, actually, i will only buy apple phones, i think it's personal preference, for me it's so easy to use.
MacBooks cost more because of MacOS not because of the logo like many try to say. It’s software I personally am happy to pay the extra for because I would happily hunt down whoever makes the decisions on W10 and feed them to their own children but each to their own.

If you don’t need to game then they’re a solid option for university, you don’t have to use Microsoft office and for coding they’re great if you need to code for Linux and they’re the only option if you want to code for Mac. If you need anything on Windows you can either run a VM or Bootcamp. They do get warm though across the top near the screen.

Secondly what’s your budget? The MacBook Air comes in quad core if you’re really that worried, the 13” pro worth getting is the £1800 variant (the one that has 4 TB3 ports not 2) but by that point you’re closer to the £2300 of the base 16” which is a much better laptop, 6c/12t with a dedicated GPU higher res screen and a 512GB SSD as standard.

Lukasamba

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
MacBooks cost more because of MacOS not because of the logo like many try to say. It’s software I personally am happy to pay the extra for because I would happily hunt down whoever makes the decisions on W10 and feed them to their own children but each to their own.

If you don’t need to game then they’re a solid option for university, you don’t have to use Microsoft office and for coding they’re great if you need to code for Linux and they’re the only option if you want to code for Mac. If you need anything on Windows you can either run a VM or Bootcamp. They do get warm though across the top near the screen.

Secondly what’s your budget? The MacBook Air comes in quad core if you’re really that worried, the 13” pro worth getting is the £1800 variant (the one that has 4 TB3 ports not 2) but by that point you’re closer to the £2300 of the base 16” which is a much better laptop, 6c/12t with a dedicated GPU higher res screen and a 512GB SSD as standard.
Exactly, because of the MacOs, i love phones iOS, so i believe i would love MacOs too, gaming on the laptop isn't needed anymore.

"For studies, i use ms visual studio, visual studio code, intelliJ " do you already have these? Do you have a Mac version, if not does the school offer them to you for free or discounted price?

If you go with a Mac are your willing to get new software or install boot camp and install windows 10 so you can use your software?

Have you looked at any of the new AMD Ryzen laptops? light weight, powerful, and long battery life.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYqG31V4qtA

Last edited:
"For studies, i use ms visual studio, visual studio code, intelliJ " do you already have these? Do you have a Mac version, if not does the school offer them to you for free or discounted price?

If you go with a Mac are your willing to get new software or install boot camp and install windows 10 so you can use your software?

Have you looked at any of the new AMD Ryzen laptops? light weight, powerful, and long battery life.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYqG31V4qtA
Which is lovely if you need that and not things like compatibility for coding