I'm Trying to Build A Computer

sHunter

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
So I have a parts list on pcpartpicker which I'm going to link so hopefully someone can look at.

I don't know if it's ACTUALLY compatible, I remember once I put one together and someone told me some parts weren't. So I posted this thread for someone to check it out and let me know before I buy all the parts. It's an $800 build.

PCPartPicker Saved Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Krazi/saved/jMP3bv

I found an EVGA GTX 970 online for like $160, and I have a hard drive laying around so the price drops some. I also have a usb to install windows 10 home and the keys online are like $15.

Solution
I agree about you not needing such a high-end motherboard. One other thing I noticed about that initial build is that the motherboard included wireless, so you wouldn't have needed a separate card, though the wireless alone isn't worth spending an extra $90 on, so that cheaper motherboard plus a separate card is probably a better option.

Also, while you can get a full-tower case if you want, keep in mind that a case like that is huge. Have a look at the case's dimensions and weight. It's going to be rather bulky and heavy, and in turn difficult to move around. Most gaming PCs tend to be built in mid-tower cases, which are significantly smaller, but still large enough to handle almost any components. That said, it is relatively...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's compatible, it's just a little unbalanced. You're spending too much on a motherboard for a locked i5 when you only have 8 GB of RAM instead of 16. Also not really necessary to get a budget cooler on a locked 65W CPU, though if you still do, the Cryorig H7 is a better budget choice these days than the Hyper 212. And the less expensive motherboard doesn't need to be a Z370 given the locked CPU.

Everything will work, as listed in the link. As to a Windows 10 key for as little as $15, where are you finding that? I'm skeptical as to the legitimacy of those keys for so much less than the full price. Where did you see the 970 for a low price also?

sHunter

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Pardon me, I meant $28.13 for the key. I've done it mutliple times. And what do you mean about a locked CPU? And I just picked a motherboard that I may not have to update bios. But that other will work (THANKS for that cheaper one, lol).

And I found a GTX 970 on eBay.

In CPU terminology, some CPU models have an unlocked multiplier, which means it is able to be overclocked. Mainstream CPU models are locked, which means the factory settings can't be changed.

The multiplier takes the base clock (100 MHz) which runs the motherboard and increases it my a multiple. A multiplier of 33 results in 3.3 GHz for example (33 x 100 MHz = 3,300 MHz or 3.3 GHz).

In reality the actual clock speed varies on a modern CPU. At idle it will downclock to speeds below 2 GHz to save power. Newer tech allows "turbo" speeds to be enabled on demand above the rated speed of the chip too, for short busts. Gamers often overclock, telling the system to run the chip at higher frequencies to get better gaming performance. This generates more heat and drives demand for higher end coolers. At stock speeds you don't need a Z- motherboard (which allows overclocking on supported CPU as it's primary distinguishing feature over "lower" models) or a big cooler.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Locked CPU means no overclocking, Z370 is meant for overclocking K chips I3 8350K I5 8600K or I7 8700K which all require a cooler. If you aren't overclocking you can find a H310, B360, or H370 that would work and save some money and the 8400 comes with a cooler, no need to buy aftermarket. Another thing, the new I5 and I7 like 2666 ram officially. None of the 300 series motherboards need a bios update to run the 8400. The 8400 will not work with any older 200 or 100 series.

sHunter

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

OHHH It comes WITH a cooler. SICK!!!! Then yea, I won't get one. Saves more money.

I agree about you not needing such a high-end motherboard. One other thing I noticed about that initial build is that the motherboard included wireless, so you wouldn't have needed a separate card, though the wireless alone isn't worth spending an extra $90 on, so that cheaper motherboard plus a separate card is probably a better option.

Also, while you can get a full-tower case if you want, keep in mind that a case like that is huge. Have a look at the case's dimensions and weight. It's going to be rather bulky and heavy, and in turn difficult to move around. Most gaming PCs tend to be built in mid-tower cases, which are significantly smaller, but still large enough to handle almost any components. That said, it is relatively inexpensive for a full-tower case, and has some interesting features like the ability to install motherboards in an upside-down orientation, so it might be a decent option. And you can install 9 optical drives if you want to. : P I just wanted to make sure you were aware of its size. I did notice Tom's Hardware did a review of that case a few years back, if you want to read more about it...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/azza-gt1-xl-atx-eatx-case,4277.html

Solution