I'm trying to download a game using origin(Ea) but download speed is stuck at 250kbps.

Feb 21, 2018
My download speed provided by my ISP is 2mbps whereas when I'm trying to download a game on Origin the speed gets stuck at 250kbps.

I tried using my cellular data but still the speed remains same.
I spoke to EA and they said its nothing from thier side.
Please help, What factors can cause it or how can I increase it?

Solution
Origin is measuring in megabytes per second, the speed you get from say speedtest.net is measured in megabits per second. So you are getting the download speeds you are paying for, there are 8 bits in a byte, so 250 kilobytes times 8 equals 2 megabits.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Origin is measuring in megabytes per second, the speed you get from say speedtest.net is measured in megabits per second. So you are getting the download speeds you are paying for, there are 8 bits in a byte, so 250 kilobytes times 8 equals 2 megabits.

Solution
May 13, 2020
my isp has provided me with 6 mbps speed but and it should have been 750kbps according to conversion but the speed never goes above 400 kbps. what should i do?

That is a very general calculation to make things easier. In addition to byte/bit data transfers only count the actual data itself not the overhead in the packets needed to transport the data. Network speeds include this overhead.

The main thing is the data headers in the packets that have things like IP addresses in them. These can vary from about 28-40 bytes depending on what protocol and what options are being used. In addition the packets themselves may not be the same length so you may have 40 bytes out of 1500 or 28 bytes out of 500. So the percentage of overhead is not consistent.

You can actually calculate the overhead but it is a lot of effort. The 8-1 number works for most connections. it is only smaller connections like yours that the overhead is enough to make the numbers off by enough you notice.

TRENDING THREADS