[SOLVED] I'm trying to find a old pc game about slicing up the screen

Oct 2, 2019
I remember I used to play this old pc game that had a unique mechanic. The player would move along the edge of the playable area where it was safe, but the goal was to move inward and cut up pieces of the area while not getting touched by enemies that were bouncing around inside the area. You would only succeed when you reached another border with your line, and if the line you left behind as you were slicing did not get touched by a enemy. Once you sliced off a bit, that became a unpassable border to the enemies.

I remember it being 2D flat top-down perspective, pretty nice pixelart, and i think it was set on alien planets. I remember it had a giant worm you were fighting at some point that was bouncing around the screen. I think I was playing it at the start of the 90's. But the game itself may probably be older.

Thanks to anyone who possibly knows anything about it :)

Solution
So is this it?

I don't think it includes worms though. Maybe in an newer version. I guess main boss could be seen as a worm although you never want to touch it, so no real fight. More a battle of wits.

I played it in arcades in the late 1980's

was released in 1981 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qix
Oct 2, 2019