[SOLVED] I'm trying to power two 80mm fans direct from my power supply with molex connection.

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
So basically I have two 80mm fans I stuck in the back of my pc and am wondering why they aren't turning on.
Here is a picture of the connector I am using. The female molex on the fans seems to be straight negative positive connection, but the male molex has 3 pins. I don't know what to think. I am guessing that 3rd pin is not needed because its basically just getting plugged in to plastic with no connection. There is only one case fan pwm connector on my MOBO that I have a 3 part splitter powering 3 fans and these fans are 3pin so doesn't really matter anyway I'm gonna have to use molex. Is it my connector?

Picture of female molex fan connector and the molex connector I am plugging into my psu.

Solution
Kingwin 80mm fans
750w 80 bronze evga psu

I'm not understanding what you're saying about the harness and plugging it into the pcie on a gpu. It is plugged into a 6pin slot on my psu. I just don't understand why the fans aren't getting power.

Edit: Okay, now I understand. The 6pin on this harness will never go into a power supply. It's meant to go into a gpu or another 6pin drawing power from the two molex connections. Thanks. How I was supposed to know this though? Besides the packaging that it came it how do you know that this is for powering the 6pin and not the two molex?
You could use something like this...

Lutfij

Titan
43sU12K.jpeg

the molex connector I am plugging into my psu
Please stop doing what you're doing! That harness goes to the PCIe connector on a GPU's end, not the other way around!

htG6w2E.jpeg

Daisy chain them to a molex connector coming off the PSU...

On second thoughts, what is the make and model of your PSU? Make and model of your fans in the case?

brawnyryan

Reputable
Oct 21, 2018
43sU12K.jpeg

the molex connector I am plugging into my psu
Please stop doing what you're doing! That harness goes to the PCIe connector on a GPU's end, not the other way around!

htG6w2E.jpeg

Daisy chain them to a molex connector coming off the PSU...

On second thoughts, what is the make and model of your PSU? Make and model of your fans in the case?
Kingwin 80mm fans
750w 80 bronze evga psu

I'm not understanding what you're saying about the harness and plugging it into the pcie on a gpu. It is plugged into a 6pin slot on my psu. I just don't understand why the fans aren't getting power.

Edit: Okay, now I understand. The 6pin on this harness will never go into a power supply. It's meant to go into a gpu or another 6pin drawing power from the two molex connections. Thanks. How I was supposed to know this though? Besides the packaging that it came it how do you know that this is for powering the 6pin and not the two molex?

Last edited:
Kingwin 80mm fans
750w 80 bronze evga psu

You could use something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168124...adapter-_-12-492-080-_-Product&quicklink=true

but you would need to make sure that you use the correct socket, 12volt or 5 volt, depending on the fan's specs.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution