Question I'm unable to find the cause of FPS drops ?

Jul 10, 2021
Hello everyone, I really really hope you guys will be able to help me out because I am really out of options at this point.

I play Valorant on an HP laptop and I've been recently experiencing insane drops.

Every single round my fps would drop to 12-15 and would not go up until the end of the round, or if I tab out for some reason.

I tried MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor to see what is going on in my components.

Here are my specs first:
CPU: i7-700U
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 m340
RAM: 8GB

During the game, I set it at 720p and cap it at 30fps just to make sure it's not my settings that are causing the drops.

The gpu usage is pretty low, no surprises there, around 20-30%
The cpu usage is usually higher, around 40-60%

During gaming I have at least 1.5Gb of ram free so ram isnt the issue

I tried changing the settings, the res, and uncap the fps, it didn't really fix anything

The temps are pretty high, 85 to 90 degrees C, never really going above 91, and if it hits 91 its for a split second (GPU and CPU have roughly the same temps)

I know the temps are high, I did everything to fix those, sent it to a repair shop to have it cleaned, got a new fan, they applied thermal paste, and i have a cooling pad so idk why the temps are so high.

But still, I don't think the temperature is the issue, since this CPUs MaxTemp is 100C

During the drops, the CPU Usage spikes at 100% in MSIAfterburner, but the spike is absolutely not visible in the task manager.

My task manager is clean, only thing taking usage is the game itself. And during the drops, nothing is taking too high usage in the task manager at all.

I noticed the CPU and GPU clock dropped during the fps drop, which reminded me of thermal throttling but honestly I don't think that's the issue because logically laptops wouldn't throttle at 85C, and the fps drops don't happen when the temp hits a threshold, it happens pretty randomly every single round.

Any idea of what could cause the problem ?

Jul 10, 2021
If both cpu and gpu slow down only when reaching 85c it is thermal throttling. Check in your bios and see if there is a setting for max cpu temp allowed under monitor.
it is not at 85, both cpu and gpu temps are around this temp usually, even hit 90 sometimes and the drops happen randomly and not when the temp hits a specific threshold

also according to Intel the cpu's max temp is 100

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021
Install cpuid HWmonitor and see what it shows you for voltages, temps of everything and see if it can give you more information.
I already have HWMonitor

temps are in the 80s after a minute of gaming

usually it goes up to a max of 90-91

today it went for 95 for the first time ever

during the drops cou spikes to 100 even though it barely use 50% in game

even though i did everything to stop the high temps, idk if those temperatures are what causing the drop though since the i7 7500U max temp is 100

cleaned laptop
new fan
apllied thermal paste
cooling pad