Question I'm unable to use new graphics card, causing startup problems and weird behaviour

Fairycakes

Prominent
Jul 18, 2020
I bought a cheap graphics card to replace the piece of crap one in my work PC. Swapped them over and it's causing some odd behaviour on startup.
  1. The boot screen stays on for about a minute, then goes black and nothing happens after that

2. ...unless I try and enter the bios or boot menu on startup, in which case it stalls on a screen showing some specs for about 30 seconds, then Windows starts veeery slowly. It doesn't actually go to the bios but is the only way Windows actually starts.

3. I had integrated graphics turned on in the bios, which is not working. Maybe I just need to change the setting again with the new card but, see point 2. My other display doesn't turn on and the onboard graphics isn't listed in Device Manager.
I tried installing the drivers from the Geforce website for the new card once Windows was eventually running but that's made no difference. Im not sure what else to try. The card is an old Geforce GT720. I'm on Windows 10. Any suggestions? TIA.

Fairycakes

Prominent
Jul 18, 2020
Card is a Geforce GT720 as I said

Foxconn 2ABF motherboard
Intel Core i5 2400
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 RAM
Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit
HP Pavilion P6 300W PSU

Let me know if there's anything else. Never heard of gpuz before but I'll try it when I'm back at work and able to swap them out again. Is that to see if it's fake or something?