I'm upgrading my motherboard soon, should I reinstall Windows 7?

Apr 7, 2018
Basically I'm upgrading my H81 board to a Z97. A few weeks after that I'm upgrading my CPU as well, from a G3258 to a i5 4690k.

I have a very slow internet connection and I'm wondering if I have to reinstall everything.

If I have to reinstall, when should I do it? Also, I'm sticking to Windows 7

I'm sorry I know there are other threads like this, but I want to know if some advice is different in my case.

Solution
You will need to reinstall Windows when you move your hard drive onto the new motherboard. I would also note that unless you purchased a Retail License for Windows 7 (as opposed to an OEM license), you will need to also purchase a new Windows 7 license.

Is there a reason for not moving to Windows 10?

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You will need to reinstall Windows when you move your hard drive onto the new motherboard. I would also note that unless you purchased a Retail License for Windows 7 (as opposed to an OEM license), you will need to also purchase a new Windows 7 license.

Is there a reason for not moving to Windows 10?

-Wolf sends

Solution
Apr 7, 2018

Thanks. It's just an attachment thing. I'm still not used to W10 and I'm hearing alot of bloat is with it. I know I'm gonna have to switch sooner or later but maybe when I build something that only allows W10 like Ryzen or Coffeelake onwards. I also hear there's something that removes that bloat but I don't have the time for that now.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Different view point wanted? I have upgraded systems like you plan to do in the past w/o a clean install, but allowing Windows 7 to detect the new hardware and installed the new drivers. There is no guarantee that this works as it is also quite often reported that Windows does not longer respond, BUT its always worth a try as it might save you several hours or even days to re-install everything from zero. ;)