[SOLVED] Im upgrading pc, crossfire good option?

Aug 31, 2019
Hello, im upgrading my old pc, actually almost everything. Im going with ryzen 5 3600x cpu, asus rog 570xf motherboard but what im realy not sure is to buy or no another asus's rog rx480 oc 8gb so i would be able to make crossfire.. card would cost me just 100€ and i have one already.. should i sell one i have and buy what i can get or would crossfire also be good idea? And yes i plan using it for gaming mostly.

Solution
Crossfire and SLI has been dying for years and wasn't ever really the best option as a 50% increase was generally considered very good back in the day.

Nearly ALL current games have no support and the ones where it does help the increase is tiny, there are benchmarks out there with a "bump" of only a few fps, SINGLE DIGIT. Some even lose frames.

Best option is to sell your current 480, add the money from that to the 100€ you were thinking of spending on the second 480 and get the best card you can buy as an upgrade. Result will be better performance than either single 480 or Crossfire, with less noise, heat and power draw than Crossfire would cause.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Crossfire and SLI has been dying for years and wasn't ever really the best option as a 50% increase was generally considered very good back in the day.

Nearly ALL current games have no support and the ones where it does help the increase is tiny, there are benchmarks out there with a "bump" of only a few fps, SINGLE DIGIT. Some even lose frames.

Best option is to sell your current 480, add the money from that to the 100€ you were thinking of spending on the second 480 and get the best card you can buy as an upgrade. Result will be better performance than either single 480 or Crossfire, with less noise, heat and power draw than Crossfire would cause.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 31, 2019

do you have in mind a particular gpu? or could recommend any in buget up to 300 €.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
5700 is about 2 times the performance of 480, so you would have about what Crossfire 480 would do it the world was perfect and Crossfire worked 100%

Most I can say is shop around and weigh your options between budget and what is available on your local used market.

Reactions: Jajcevec420