I'm upgrating from core i3 3220 to core i7 3770 but getting no display and keeps rebooting.

EnvyMX

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
First of all, sorry for my bad english, i'm foreign :(
This is the story:
I actually have an ASUS H61M-E Socket 1155 with Intel Core i3 3220 (yeah, is too old but... anyways), but my parents give me a "used" CPU (core i7) that actually works fine on other mobos. I went to the Asus mobos page and I found that my mobo is not compatible with that cpu so I proceed to bought a new one. The new mobo is an MSI B75A-G43 that is fully compatible with core i7 model I have.
I took advantage of the situation to buy a new case for my "new" PC and another PSU.
When I install the Core i3 CPU to the new computer (mobo) it seems to be all fine (Indeed, I upgrade the BIOS to the last one) but when I put the Core i7 the PC keeps restarting all the time and it doesn't display anything on the screen. The first thing I thought was any failure on PSU buut, is brand new and I prove another PSU that I have (Corsair 550M) and is the same problem.
The mobo has 8 pin ATX connector and my PSU only have 4 pin connector, the Corsair 550M has 8 pin connector so I connected properly and nothing happened.

The thing is, when I put the Core i3 it works, but when I put Core i7 keeps rebooting, all the fans turned on and the HDD works fine as well.

I think the mobo is not giving power properly to the Core i7 cpu, but I don't know why :(
PD1: The HDD doesn't have Windows installed.
PD2: For testing, I put only 1 stick of 4GB RAM HyperX DDR3.
PD3: The CPU fan has full contact with both CPU's
PD4: As mentioned, the mobo's BIOS is updated to the last Rev.

EnvyMX

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

Thanks for your answer
As I said, the PC works fine with Core i3 so, I don't think that is the problem, both CPU uses the same number of pins. Right now I look more closer at Socket and cpu pins and everything seems to be fine.
About the CMOS, the mobo has the pins, but no jumper in there. I tried to clear CMOS removing the battery, and still the same problem.

On the website I see that the ASUS H61M-E is compatible with the i5 2700k, a 95W CPU. Your 3770 is only a 77W CPU. It could be that your 3770 is compatible, maybe Asus just never added it to the list. That motherboard is compatible with the i7-3770T, which is a 45W CPU. My thoughts are that maybe the motherboard was initially targeted at 65W or less CPUs but if a 95W 2700k works on it then a 77W 3770 should have no problem.

On the MSI board what I'd try is to use the i3 to reflash the original bios back onto the motherboard. Then I'd remove the i3 and install the i7. Then proceed as usual. What I'm wondering is if you flashed the bios with an i3 in it, maybe it did something with the bios based on you having an i3 and that might cause it to malfunction with an i7.

Don't forget to reapply thermal paste and plug the CPU fan in.

EnvyMX

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

Maybe ASUS never update the CPU compatibility list but, if I try the i7 on ASUS mobo, just nothing happen like MSI mobo, both don't display anything on screen.

Does anyone know if the mobos have any configuration for cpu wattage?

On MSI website, there are a big table with all the compatible CPU that mobo supports with version of BIOS they need to function "well". My i3 3220 is newer than i7 3770 (According to Intel) so i3 needs a newer BIOS, thus, MSI board primarily should recognize i7 with the original BIOS instead of the newer version.

PS: I try this i7-3770 on another mobo and it actually works with any problem.
There is a picture where the i7-3770 works fine on other mobo (Spanish).
http://i.imgur.com/TbWsDts.jpg

With the CMOS cleared, the BIOS should load default settings, which means it should detect and set up any compatible CPU automatically.

This is a strange issue!

There may an issue with the BIOS not recognizing the i7 CPU, or there may be an issue with the PSU, or there may be an issue with the motherboard, or maybe a combination of any two or of all three issues?

Is it possible to try another known working PSU (apart from the Corsair CX550M or CS550M?)? If the system still doesn't start/run properly after trying the other PSU, then it is suspected that there may be a problem with the motherboard.

EnvyMX

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

Some people told me that maybe it could be the "CPU Wattage Administration" issue, I don't know how to explain that but in brief, the mobo doesn't know how to administrate the wattage that CPU receives or needs to be functional.
Today I try with other PSU and guess what.... The sameeeeee :(

My question is, there is a possibility that on BIOS configurations exists a beautiful option that I can modify about the CPU Wattage they need?

This is an unusual situation.

Unless there is something really peculiar with the B75A-G43 motherboard, with CMOS cleared the system will load default settings which should allow booting via compatible CPU's without having to make BIOS adjustments.

It is suspected that there is an issue with (latest) BIOS, and/or there is a motherboard hardware fault. If it is certain that the correct BIOS has been successfully flashed, then it appears there is a fault with the motherboard.

EnvyMX

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

Maybe it could be the construction of the PC, or maybe not... I'll rebuild all the components and let you know about the results... I think, I'll need another mobo, but I'm still afraid about that... If I buy another mobo, there is a change that it will happen again.