Question I'm using a powerline adapter but it keeps saying 'Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration'

4AR0N944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
I'm sure all of you network experts have seen an extensive amount of threads explaining how they're explaining the same issue as mine. I have also viewed a couple, following solutions yet to no avail. I am using a custom-built pc, using a powerline adapter as well as a wireless adapter. (I've tried disabling it, it doesn't work). A while after I tried using the wireless adapter, the issue had popped up, and after hours and hours of online solutions, my ethernet wouldn't budge. I've tried all the physical solutions as well, yet none of them have worked. Honestly, I'm just hoping for that one solution that nobody considers but will magically work on mine. At this point, I was thinking of taking my pc to a shop and get a professional to do it, so any help would be incredibly appreciated.

Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard - Gigabyte Aorus Elite
GPU - GeForce RTX 2060
Ram - 8GB x2 Corsair Vengeance
Storage - 500 GB SSD M.2
PSU - 650-watt gold-rated

Boot the TENS linux live cd and see if you have the same issue there. If so, it's not a hardware issue, but a network one.

And as far as taking the system to a pro, aside from a hardware issue that requires someone to physically touch your system, the pros here know as much if not more than any pro at a shop, so you can get it working for free and without leaving your home.

4AR0N944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
Boot the TENS linux live cd and see if you have the same issue there. If so, it's not a hardware issue, but a network one.

And as far as taking the system to a pro, aside from a hardware issue that requires someone to physically touch your system, the pros here know as much if not more than any pro at a shop, so you can get it working for free and without leaving your home.
If you are questioning whether it is a network problem, it is not, as my brother who used to use a powerline adapter said he never had any problems, and chose to use wireless internet. So, I do not think it is a network problem.

You need to systematically test and eliminate stuff.

Since it is much less effort to move the pc near the router than take it in to a shop I would first try a ethernet cable plugged directly into the router.

The best command is going to be IPCONFIG /ALL

You are looking to see if it says "media disconnected" that would indicate some issue with the port itself.

Next you want to see if you are getting IP addresses. The message you get indicates you are not. If you do get IP addresses check that gateway and dns are correct.

Some of the common things to try is to disable IPv6 in your network settings on the pc. This is mostly because IPv6 can make things confusing to troubleshoot if both IPv4 and IPv6 are on.
You can try to set the IP address manually. Although DHCP should always work it is a good test to manually set the ip. Make sure you set the gateway and dns to your router IP.

4AR0N944

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
You need to systematically test and eliminate stuff.

Since it is much less effort to move the pc near the router than take it in to a shop I would first try a ethernet cable plugged directly into the router.

The best command is going to be IPCONFIG /ALL

You are looking to see if it says "media disconnected" that would indicate some issue with the port itself.

Next you want to see if you are getting IP addresses. The message you get indicates you are not. If you do get IP addresses check that gateway and dns are correct.

Some of the common things to try is to disable IPv6 in your network settings on the pc. This is mostly because IPv6 can make things confusing to troubleshoot if both IPv4 and IPv6 are on.
You can try to set the IP address manually. Although DHCP should always work it is a good test to manually set the ip. Make sure you set the gateway and dns to your router IP.
I tried the ipconfig /all while using the powerline adapter and this is what I got.
Two of them say media disconnected, 'Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9 and 10', although they are not under the ethernet one. Is this the problem? Tomorrow, I'm going to try connecting it directly to my router and see. The rest of your message unfortunately did not make much sense, as I am not very experienced or skilled at this, although I did disable the ipv6, yet it didn't work.