I'm using an i7 with win 7 64 bit and 16 GB RAM.Is 70 degrees for a couple of hours too hot?

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I'm using an i7 with windows 7 64 bit and 16 GB RAM. I do not use it for games. I use a program called Nikon NX2 which converts images from the RAW format to JPEG after manipulation. When I have several hundred images the process may take a couple of hours. Is it safe for the CPU to be at around 70 degrees C for that length of time?

Solution
If you're crunching through processing a ton of raw images for hours at a time, its going to put your CPU under pretty hard load. Assuming you're hitting 100% usage on that, which you likely are, your temps are about what I'd expect if you're using an Intel stock cooler. This is an ok temp to be at, even for prolonged usage.

The max tCase temp (not the measurement you're using) of your cpu is 72.6°C, so your max CPU core temp (the measurement you are using) is going to be higher than that. Typically it'll start throttling at 95°C and max will be around 98°C. If you hit high 70's regularly or spike in to 80's then I'd be concerned.

However if you're concerned about it running in the 70's consistently, then look in to a better 3rd...

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi thanks for the reply. Here is some more info about my system. It is a desktop PC. i7 2600 CPU at 3.4GHz, 3701Mhz 4 cores and the motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68XP-UDR

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

Hi thanks for the reply. Here is some more info about my system. It is a desktop PC. i7 2600 CPU at 3.4GHz, 3701Mhz 4 cores and the motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68XP-UDR

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

Cooled by the fans which came with the PC which were checked recently and thermal paste re applied.

Intel has this tool which I used and my PC passed in all departments. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit-

But my concern is the sustained high temperatures (if mid 70s is high?) over several hours.

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
As a temporary measure I have reduced the maximum power usage of the processor to 90% from the control panel. This does keep temperatures down a bit but it is a shame to have a powerful machine and have to hold it back.

If you're crunching through processing a ton of raw images for hours at a time, its going to put your CPU under pretty hard load. Assuming you're hitting 100% usage on that, which you likely are, your temps are about what I'd expect if you're using an Intel stock cooler. This is an ok temp to be at, even for prolonged usage.

The max tCase temp (not the measurement you're using) of your cpu is 72.6°C, so your max CPU core temp (the measurement you are using) is going to be higher than that. Typically it'll start throttling at 95°C and max will be around 98°C. If you hit high 70's regularly or spike in to 80's then I'd be concerned.

However if you're concerned about it running in the 70's consistently, then look in to a better 3rd party cooler. If you tell us what kind of case you're using we can give you some recommendations.

Solution

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
So the solution would seem to be better cooling. I am not sure what case I have or how to check but thanks for all the help guys. I will try to avoid liquid cooling first and see if better fans will be any good. Must take the machine to a shop then :-(

A better heatsink/fan combo would likely fix all your problems without having to go water cooling. Unfortunately without knowing your case, it limits what kind of suggestions can be made for the new cooler. Snap some clear pictures of what you have and post them, maybe we can sort it out and go from there.

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

I am sure this will seem like a stupid question, but I'm basically a photographer and computers are just part of my arsenal of tools. So when you asked me to take a photo, do you mean of the case from the outside or do you need me to open it? Here is a link to the PC as it looks from the front https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=156472174706081&set=a.145707902449175.1073741828.100010298976619&type=3&theater

Not a dumb question. The outside is what I'm looking for to try and tell make/model, from there we can determine what kind of clearence your case will have for a CPU cooler. So looks like its a Gigabyte branded computer? Does it have a model listed anywhere on it? Without knowing for sure but judging from how much space is around your DVD drive, I'm guessing your case is between 6-7 inches wide. You may meet the requirements for a tower fan of around 145-159mm but... probably not. Measuring from motherboard to the inside ridge of the case to determine max height would give us a better idea of what kind of room you have to play with.

Since you're CPU has a TDP of 95w you need to make sure any cooler you pick up is rated for it. Also you're CPU socket is LGA 1155, so it needs to be compatible with that. Most aftermarket kits are going to push over in to the 1st RAM slot a bit. If you only have two slots populated its not a big deal, you can usually use slots 2/4. If you have all 4 populated, knowing the height of the RAM module will help with selecting a cooler. Most of the ones I'm mentioning in here come with some sort of thermal compound, if they don't make sure to pick some up. I recommend Noctua NH-H1, its rated better than your basic Arctic Silver 5 (which still isn't bad) but doesn't break the bank like some of the other higher rated compounds out there.

If you do meet the clearance for a tower fan look at these two:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 159mm - TDP isn't listed but reviews on 95w CPU's run very well - Roughly $30. The fan has a RAM clearance of 37mm, so may peek over the 1st RAM slot. But the fan is adjustable so it can be moved up a bit. This has kind of become the go to for most peoples 3rd party cooling options.

CRYORIG H7 - 145mm - TDP isnt listed but reviews with overclocked 84w i7s show great performance - Roughly $35. This cooler is a bit shorter and narrower than the 212 EVO but with as good, if not better performance in some reviews. The narrower body translates to no one having issues with RAM clearance. It seems to be quickly catching up to the 212 Evo in preference for inexpensive tower coolers.

If your case doesn't meet the 145-159mm clearance, some low profile ones to look at:

Zalman CNPS8900 - 60mm height w/fan - TDP not listed but manufacture lists it as compatible with all 1155 CPUs - Roughly $50. It will likely overhang the first RAM slot, so clearance is about 35mm.

Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B - 58mm height w/fan - TDP not listed but reviews have it running with 95w CPUs - Roughly $45. I couldn't find an exact RAM clearance on this one, but it seems to have some overhang. Looks to be around 35mm clearance. Install seems to be a bit of a hassle, but all the reviews show it as being a solid cooler.

Noctua NH-L12 - 93mm height w/fan - Rated for 95w CPUs - Roughly $60. Straight up, this thing is pretty huge. While its not very tall, it is wide and dense. The heatsink itself will go over the ram slots, but unless you're using tall memory (over 43mm) like Dominator series you should be fine. The one issue is, depending on how close the RAM slots are, the bottom fan may go in to the area of the first RAM slot. However some reviews have said removing the bottom fan doesn't seem to affect performance all that much. I personally love Noctua, the build quality is great, ships with options for different speed fan control, has a 6yr warranty, cool very well and they tend to be very quiet. Plus the thermal compound that ships with their coolers is the one I recommend. But they are bigger, heavier and more expensive than most other options out there.

Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver 2 - 105mm height w/fan - TDP isn't list but reviews testing it on 140w CPUs showed it working very well - Roughly $43. We're getting out of anything "low profile" but this one still has that same style of design so should fit in what we're assuming to be your case size. This design is similar to the Noctua only its much lighter, only has one fan and has better RAM clearance (~47mm). Installation looks a bit odd but nothing terrible.

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

Wow thanks for the very comprehensive answer. I appreciate it very much! And the fact that your solutions involves fans which are relatively cheap and not complicated is also of comfort as I was not comfortable with liquid cooling for a computer which is just processing photos. I will look into this and see what fits. I can see no indication of model or make on the case. But it is a Gigabyte. Just out of curiosity: What effect do you think it would have on the temperature of the processors if I removed one of the panels of the case? According to the guy in the computer shop I'd make things worse as the fans are designed to draw air over a particular route.

OH and as regards RAM only 2 of the 4 slots are populated.

Well, in theory the case fans should work better with the sides on. However if there is a lot of dust build up not much air is going to be moving. Taking the side off and putting a box fan or something to blow in to it is pretty common when summer temps get overwelling and the case design is bad. It would likely move much more air than the case fans but that still not help much if your cooler is just not up to the task. Intel stock coolers typically suck when you put them under heavy load fro a while, which it sounds like you do.

I really should have asked up front, but when was the last time your case fans and CPU fan were cleaned? If there is a ton of dust built up on the fans and heatsink then you will be getting very little air movement and thus no real cooling happening.

Keep in mind, 70c is not out of the range of safe CPU temps for your processor. Its on the high side of safe but its still in that range.

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

Everything was cleaned just a few days ago when thermal paste was re applied.

Zeppi_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I've been looking for data on what sort of temperatures to expect in various components in relation to room temperature. I mean if my room was at 10 degrees I'd expect the CPU to be running cooler than it is now. I am wondering about this because I live in a hot country and was thinking whether it is worth the cost of running the AC at lower than normal temperatures in rooms where computers are used, so as to prolong computer life.

TRENDING THREADS