[SOLVED] iMac 2009 Beeps - 3 Short, 3 Long, 3 Short

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
This iMac from 2009 shows a black screen when booting and plays 3 beeps: 3 short, 3 long and then 3 short. I have swapped out the RAM for sticks I know work. Is there anything else I can try? I haven't tried AHT but am not sure how to get it to work if it won't display anything.

Thanks in advance :)

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015

I was hoping that wasn't the case but it explains why everything I tried didn't work haha! If it helps I looked at the board LEDs and the 4th one was unlit? There isn't a 3rd LED so just wondering what the 4th one being off means.

you sure its not 3 long 3 short 3 long ?

Because I found this at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202768
Three long tones, three short tones, three long tones: EFI ROM corruption is detected, and your Mac is in EFI ROM recovery mode. Newer computers automatically recover from a corrupted ROM; when this occurs, a progress bar appears on the screen during ROM recovery mode. Don't disturb your Mac while the ROM recovery takes place. When recovery is complete, your Mac restarts.

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah it's a common misconception and people usually read it as 3 long to start with but this one is an SOS from the computer instead of OSO, but thanks anyways :)