[SOLVED] iMac 2019 CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2020
Hello everyone

I want to upgrade my iMac CPU which is currently a 3.0 GHz Intel Core i5.
The iMac in question is a 27 inch, 2019 model with Radeon Pro 570X GPU.
I already bought i9 9900KS on Amazon. Can i install this CPU in to it ?

Thanks for reading

Solution
If you have an 8th gen cpu, likely your imac only has support for 8th gen cpus and definately not the 9900ks.

If the bios isnt updated for 9th gen support, it likely wont boot with a 9900ks. If the bios has 9th gen support minus the 9900ks, it may or may not boot, but even if it boots it could have issues.

Honestly, you shouldn't be trying to upgrade an all in one, especially an apple one where they purposely make it un user upgradable.
Which i5 exactly is currently installed?

If it's an 8th gen i5 I highly doubt you can upgrade to the 9900K because of the BIOS not supporting it which Apple does not officially distribute so you will have to probably find a pirated/hacked version of it someplace and then figure out how to flash it. You also have to deal with the pain of physically upgrading the CPU, there are lots of videos on it on youtube,

Honestly Apple blows, they have removed pretty much any upgradebility from all of their computers including simple RAM with the exception of the overpriced Mac Pro which you can.

I'll give a hard maybe.

There was a model with an I9 9900k from the factory, so a normal i9 9900k would certainly work.

However the 9900KS may not due to the higher power consumption and heat output. I have also heard of issues with bios updated needed for a 9900ks, so that may be another issue.

And even if the 9900ks is compatible, it may be a very, very, hard job of upgrading the processor.

I don't know about the regular Imacs, but the 2019 IMAC pro has the screen glued in, and if you take the screen off, the PSU is exposed and can deliver a lethal shock if you accidentally touch it, amongs many other issues.

Reactions: Zizo007
Mar 18, 2020
Which i5 exactly is currently installed?

If it's an 8th gen i5 I highly doubt you can upgrade to the 9900K because of the BIOS not supporting it which Apple does not officially distribute so you will have to probably find a pirated/hacked version of it someplace and then figure out how to flash it. You also have to deal with the pain of physically upgrading the CPU, there are lots of videos on it on youtube,

Honestly Apple blows, they have removed pretty much any upgradebility from all of their computers including simple RAM with the exception of the overpriced Mac Pro which you can.

thanks for answer

I found my cpu model on https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html
3.0Ghz i5 8500 , also show up other 9th gen cpu can be install on this iMac model .
But not include 9900KS ,So sad.💩

Mar 18, 2020
I'll give a hard maybe.

There was a model with an I9 9900k from the factory, so a normal i9 9900k would certainly work.

However the 9900KS may not due to the higher power consumption and heat output. I have also heard of issues with bios updated needed for a 9900ks, so that may be another issue.

And even if the 9900ks is compatible, it may be a very, very, hard job of upgrading the processor.

I don't know about the regular Imacs, but the 2019 IMAC pro has the screen glued in, and if you take the screen off, the PSU is exposed and can deliver a lethal shock if you accidentally touch it, amongs many other issues.

Thanks for answer

It's must to do bios updated before install 9900KS ?
All i know ,basically is impossible do bios updated on iMac.
What will happen if you install 9900KS before update the bios on regular PC ?

If you have an 8th gen cpu, likely your imac only has support for 8th gen cpus and definately not the 9900ks.

If the bios isnt updated for 9th gen support, it likely wont boot with a 9900ks. If the bios has 9th gen support minus the 9900ks, it may or may not boot, but even if it boots it could have issues.

Honestly, you shouldn't be trying to upgrade an all in one, especially an apple one where they purposely make it un user upgradable.

Solution
Sep 27, 2020
Hello everyone

I want to upgrade my iMac CPU which is currently a 3.0 GHz Intel Core i5.
The iMac in question is a 27 inch, 2019 model with Radeon Pro 570X GPU.
I already bought i9 9900KS on Amazon. Can i install this CPU in to it ?

Thanks for reading

I'm sorry this is such a late reply, however there is no direct answer here. I want to confirm for you, that both the i9 9900K and the i7 9700K are compatible. I cannot vouch for the i9 9900KS though. I'd recommend getting a i9 9900K and installing that. It's just a bit more expensive than the i7 and has 16 threads vs 8. The i5 is only 65W power, and the i7 and i9 are 95W, but Apple uses the exact same power boards for each, so the i5 just sips less power, but the machine can handle the larger power draw without issue. They also use the same cooling fans and vents. Really, the i5 model is just underutilizing what the machine can otherwise do.

I bought a refurbished, base model iMac 27" i5 8500 for super cheap and performed both the i9 CPU upgrade, added 32GB RAM (this can be done without hassle and is an intended upgrade by Apple), and SSD upgrade (do this while you have everything open) and saved thousands off what Apple would have charged for those upgrades. The CPU upgrade requires removing a lot of stuff, but overall, it's very easy if you've built a PC before. My attempt at this was born both from curiosity and the desire to "stick it to Apple's" insanely expensive upgrade prices from the factory. This obviously voids your warranty, but if you're able to perform the CPU upgrade, you'll be able to replace anything that breaks, and self warranty your system anyway.

You can also make a hefty profit selling upgraded machines on eBay if your so inclined :)

In summary, get a i9 9900K and the largest SSD you can and install both while your at it. You'll have nearly an iMac Pro (especially if you use an eGPU) for fractions of the cost. In some cases, your machine will even out-perform the iMac Pro as eGPUs can offer better options than even the Vegas Apple ships with those models.

Status
Not open for further replies.