RoccatKanga

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hi folks, I need a fresh install of Mac OS on my ancient iMac.

The SSD hast been formatted in the recommended apple format(can't remember what it was exactly, something with extended I believe) prior to installation with USB-SATA adapter with secondary machine.

Original MacOS disk is at hand, however it leads to a state with a gray apple on a light background and high Fan noise that continues for hours until the iMac is turned of with the power button.

Goal is a fresh MacOS install

Pressing [option N ] leads to a globe(airport icon), that will turn into the" folder with a question mark"

Edit:
[
I figured out additional Information:
I don´t know what version of OS X was last installed.
The iMac is from Mid 2011( I found that out using the serial number)
At that time they shipped with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.
The first version t be downloaded from the AppStore sadly is Mac OS X Lion 10.7.
That makes it hard for me to create a bootstick.

The install disk is still at hand, however with the old Mac out of order, all current Computers in the household lack a cd drive.

with the install disk in the imac iot always gets stuck. Here I have an image from verbose mode:

(the quality isn´t too high, on the other hand there are onnly 9 lines of output :(
The image shown in the link will display forever
Should any information on the image be private? please let me know!
]

please help

Last edited:

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
It has been my experience with both PC and Mac that upgrading to a SSDs is not the same as an HDD when it comes to Mac. Plus, even from a PC standpoint, it can be difficult to simply move an OS drive to another machine.

A quick look shows that the Patriot is designed for a PC, not a mac.

For a Mac, I recommend an SSD from OWC (mac sales). I don't work for them, they are simply a great company. Would call them to ask the right SSD for your machine and model number.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Correct friend. There is a difference. Any drive may be compatible to use as an external drive (or non-OS). But a Mac OS SSD must be specifically designed and created to be a Mac OS SSD.

I had a OWC SSD for years until I dropped it. The Mac died but the drive was still good.

Reactions: RoccatKanga

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Glad to be of help.

When I bought my iMac, I had to choose the best option that allowed me to have an SSD while being a good steward of the money I had. One option since it is a desktop machine is to use an external drive for storage. I am also a photographer, so I use an external drive for photos I am no longer working on. I use RAID0.

Would call them to get updated pricing if available and ask if there are any discounts available, especially since it is an older machine.

Choose an SSD within reason and then use an external. Hope that helps and meets your computer needs.

Last edited: