Question Imac with wiped drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2020
I got an old imac, the harddrive is 100% empty and i dont have the install disk for os, wich system is easiest to install on it for free.. ubuntu, linux, windows i dont care what system i just need it to run.

Mar 13, 2020
When you say you just need it to run, what are you going to do with it? What software? The software you want(or need) to run could determine the OS you need to install.
I would like it to run OS but i never worked with it before, so i tried installing windows 10 with iso on a usb, like i do on a normal PC, but the screen is just blue when i start it up, so im kinda lost now..
It want it to work so i can use it at home.

Mar 13, 2020
Knowing the hardware is critical to knowing what you can install and run.

Some Linux variant would probably be the most generic. But....16 bit, 32bit, 64bit...
"iMac" has been a model line since 1998, on a variety of different platforms.
Is there some way i can se what it got then i dont have a useable system?

USAFRet

Titan
So...
https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1174

14 year old system. Core Duo, 512GB RAM, 250GB HDD, X1600 GOU (128MB vram).
Your only OS options are whatever Apple OS it came with, or maybe a 32bit Linux.
Win 10 (or 7 or 8) will absolutely NOT work. At all.

Now....what can it be used for?
Maybe it will power up.
Browse some websites. Maybe play a movie.

Reactions: FlexibleMink
Mar 13, 2020
So...
https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1174

14 year old system. Core Duo, 512GB RAM, 250GB HDD, X1600 GOU (128MB vram).
Your only OS options are whatever Apple OS it came with, or maybe a 32bit Linux.
Win 10 (or 7 or 8) will absolutely NOT work. At all.

Now....what can it be used for?
Maybe it will power up.
Browse some websites. Maybe play a movie.
Then I must try linux, cant find a "free" OS quz i dont know what i would look for..

If it can turn on and use a browser its perfect, i need it in the kitchen to look up recipes.

Mar 13, 2020
Now i tried installing Linux on the drive, with the result off a gray, instead of a blue screen..

I think i install it in a wrong way..
I'll take a empty harddrive into a HP machine, boot usb with Linux, installing and move the drive over to the mac and power up..

Now i tried installing Linux on the drive, with the result off a gray, instead of a blue screen..

I think i install it in a wrong way..
I'll take a empty harddrive into a HP machine, boot usb with Linux, installing and move the drive over to the mac and power up..
Definitely not going to work. The OS installs for the system in which the drive is currently installed and likely will not even try to boot in a foreign system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS