Image Cloning Win 8

gb777

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

I've been using Ghost for a long time to create complete partition images for xp, 2k 2003 95, nt etc.. Don't believe my version 8 will handle os's Vista and later with the fat at the end of the partition or different booting system.

With version 8 and before all I had to do is run ghost.exe or ghost32.exe and create the image then run it to restore the image. I read reviews of Ghost 15 and they seem horrible where the restore doesn't seem to work very well if at all.

Any recommendations of image cloning software that I'll be able to create a Windows 8 image that I can restore hopefully as easily as the Ghost 8 I've been using for? Maybe something free would be nice.

Thanks

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

The latest version of Ghost will work fine, either for cloning, making an Image backup or for file/folder backup. .NetFramework is required, but is installed automatically if you don't have it on your computer. In fact, Samsung supplies a full copy of Ghost with their new SSD's to clone over your partitions to the SSD. You chave to clone each partition separately (ESP, MSR, Boot Partition). It is a full version however so you can use it for Cloning, Imaging, Backint Up just the way you have been. You can also download the Ghost 15 User Manual to read in detail if you want. Here is the website:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/15/manuals/ngh_15_user_guide.pdf

Acronis True Image is also another great product that is full featured, Cloning, Imaging, Backing Up. Can even clone an image using their CD linux OS version. It's my favorite. Acronis also has a downloadable User Manual to real and evaluate. Their latest version just was released and fully compatable with Windows 8.

Windows 8 also has the Win-7 BackUp and Restore application, which you can Image your ful HDD, then incrementaly backup any changed files on a schedule (they recommend once weekly), and Restore it back to your original or a different drive if you want. It's built in and already paid for. Fred Langa highly recommends this product.

So there are lots of choices. I'm sure you will get several other "favorites" from folks who swear by their favorite applications that have served them well over the years.