Image from a 98SE PC to another 98 PC

I recently reformatted and did a fresh install of WIN98SE on my PC.

After successfully installing all my drivers ,etc, I applied the Microsoft
updates and made an image of my system prior to adding any peripherals such
as my printer, card reader, scanner,etc.

Would I be able to use this image on another PC and then only have to update
the drivers for that PC?

Yes, but why would you want to?

The drivers update would have to be complete: The standard method for
moving a hard drive (or an image) to another machine, unless that
machine is the same in its basic hardware (especially the motherboard),
is to first delete the ENUM key from the Local_Machine portion of the
Registry. Then move the HDD or create the image. If you can't remove the
ENUM key from the system before moving or imaging, then try to boot
directly into Safe Mode when you crank it up. Use REGEDIT to delete the
ENUM key, then restart.

WARNING! While the above usually works, the process of installing device
drivers in this manner is much less straight-forward than that used by
Windows Setup. It is not uncommon to have to struggle with this method
for hours or even days in order to get the drivers to install in the
proper order, or even to install properly at all. Whenever I do this
procedure, I count on having to delete the ENUM key at least a couple of
times while I work out the kinks, starting over each time. And even
then....

Also, by using this method, most or all of the drivers will not be built
into the "omnibus drivers file" called VMM32.VXD, which is what Setup
creates when it installs drivers. The less VMM32 is used, the longer, in
general, loading such drivers will take.

Outside of cloning systems to exact-copy hardware, your methodology
would usually be considered inefficient and bound to result in a
less-than-ideal installation. Fresh installation from scratch isn't
likely to take much longer, and is bound to result in a more healthy,
more stable system. I consider this one of those "If you must"
procedures, like reinstalling over the top, something you only do in
extremis, and only for so long as the extremis lasts. Maybe it's a hard
drive from a production machine in a deadline situation where time
simply doesn't allow for rebuilding a well-configured system that you
can go right back to work on. (Note that this is *not* the situation you
are describing where you've only installed the OS and some basic apps.)
Or where this is somehow the only way to get to your personal files in
order to back them up in preparation for a fresh rebuild.

Beyond that, except in bulk licensing situations, your method is in
contravention of the EULA. And you *couldn't* do it in WinXP due to
Activation restrictions.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I recently reformatted and did a fresh install of WIN98SE on my PC.
>
> After successfully installing all my drivers ,etc, I applied the
> Microsoft
> updates and made an image of my system prior to adding any
> peripherals such
> as my printer, card reader, scanner,etc.
>
> Would I be able to use this image on another PC and then only have to
> update
> the drivers for that PC?

I was looking for an easy way to redo an elderly neighbors pc. His pc does
not have a burner so if I did a fresh installation he will probably let it
go south in short order.

Well, I will probably do a fresh install for him and use partition magic to
make a backup partition and make an image and then hide the backup
partition.

Appreciate the feedback. Thank you

MedRxMan wrote:

> Would I be able to use this image on another PC and then only have to update
> the drivers for that PC?

The "Image" is exactly that!
An exact copy of installation on particular hardware, for subsequent
reconstruction on this hardware _only_.
Any other "circus" is much easier and takes less time by installing from
scratch.

HTH

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

That's what I would do.

--

> Well, I will probably do a fresh install for him and use partition
> magic to make a backup partition and make an image and then hide the
> backup partition.

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I was looking for an easy way to redo an elderly neighbors pc. His pc does
> not have a burner so if I did a fresh installation he will probably let it
> go south in short order.
>
> Well, I will probably do a fresh install for him and use partition magic
> make a backup partition and make an image and then hide the backup
> partition.

Short Note:
Drives that are partitioned with PartitionMagic generally cannot be used
from computer to computer.

...Rex..