Image on heatsink interface? [NOW with image!]

Apr 9, 2018
Hi guys!

Okay, my latest question:

I just inherited a Scythe heatsink, an SCINF-1000, if my Google-fu is working. Anyway, two questions:

1. The interface plate (in the photo) has the image of the warning decal on it. The copper doesn't FEEL like copper...it's too...smooth? It just doesn't feel right. You can see in the picture where I tried scratching at the edges to see if the plastic label was left on by the former owner and melted on. So - thoughts? My instinct is to grab the micromesh and lap the surface.

2. Anyone know how the Scinf-1000 Scythe compares to the Hyper EVO 212 for performance?

Thanks!
Jack

Heatsink.jpg

Solution
I suppose it could've been some oily residue from the ink, that protected the surface from oxidizing better than the uninked areas as it's lighter. Normal thermal compound itself is pretty oily though, so perhaps the previous owner used liquid metal? Beryllium actually alloys slowly with copper into an amalgam (which is why liquid metals can appear to "dry out"), and oil would prevent that. That may also explain the slick feel too.
15_thumb.jpg
Apr 9, 2018

That's kind of the way I was leaning - I've just NEVER seen an image embedded in metal like that without something weird going on.

I've lapped plenty of heatsinks, and when I'm done, there really aren't a lot of imperfections to speak of. :) Nevertheless, I always use a good thermal compound like Artic Silver.

Thanks, Jay.

Any other input, folks?

I suppose it could've been some oily residue from the ink, that protected the surface from oxidizing better than the uninked areas as it's lighter. Normal thermal compound itself is pretty oily though, so perhaps the previous owner used liquid metal? Beryllium actually alloys slowly with copper into an amalgam (which is why liquid metals can appear to "dry out"), and oil would prevent that. That may also explain the slick feel too.
15_thumb.jpg

Solution