Question Image persistance or burn in on my ASUS ROG XG27VQ?

lucian_vlad1973

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
Hello guys, so yesterday while I was surfing on youtube with the dark theme on. I noticed that at the bottom of the page where the windows logo is supposed to be that the windows logo is ghosting ( its not there because I hid my taskbard but it is like a ghost of his ) the same with the time and date but much less visibile. I left my monitor on while I was away at school a few days ago but I noticed today this problem. Its not very visible. Only when a grey background is on the background of that spot where the windows logo is supposed to be.

How can I know if its burn in or image persistance? Whats the difference?

Will it go away?

Also can you tell me what type of display do I have? LED ? LCD? I could not find on the internet

My monitor is ASUS ROG XG27VQ

I was unable to take some pictures because the ones that I took did not show the actual logo just some rainbow lines from the monitor pixels. But I was able to find a photo on the web

View: https://imgur.com/a/Nb4jNOy

This is how it looks on my monitor but only when the color grey is on the background

That monitor appears to use a VA panel, which as far as I know, typically don't tend to experience issues with burn-in or image retention. There's the possibility that that some panels might though. Try simply leaving it displaying a gray screen like that for 10 minutes or more, and see if the ghost image slowly disappears over that period of time.

The difference between burn-in and retention is that burn-in could be permanent, while retention is only temporary. Burn-in isn't generally a common concern on modern monitors though, so I suspect it's not anything to be worried about.

As for LED, nearly all displays currently on the market use LEDs for their backlighting these days, having switched over from CCFL (fluorescent) tubes a number of years back. The exception would be OLED screens, in which each pixel is its own light source, but OLED is still not really a thing for PC monitors, primarily due to it actually being prone to burn-in, unlike other modern screen technologies like VA, IPS and TN. That's less of an issue on a smartphone or television that's not going to be displaying the same image for extended periods of time, so OLED screens are becoming common on those, but they are still not really practical for PCs.