Question Image pixilation on browsers.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I've got a problem that's been going on for at least a year or maybe more. When I open a browser, some in not all of the images on the screen are extremely pixilated. I can refresh the screen, and some will clear up, but then others will be pixilated. Once I get to a web site, I also have the same problem.

I've got an ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme MB. An Intel I-7 5930K. I've got 32 gig of DDR4-3200 Gskill memory. I've got twin EVGA GTX 1080ti video cards in SLI. I've got twin 28 inch Acer monitors which run at 3840 x 2160 resolution. It's got a 1000 Watt PS.

This started happening a year or so ago, maybe longer, with the image pixilation on the computer. I had been using Chrome, so I tried MS Edge, and that seemed to fix it. It also doesn't happen on old IE-11.

Well, now they've updated to Edge based on Chrome, and it does it now on Edge. I have an install of an older version of Chrome, number 75 dot something. It's been modified so that it won't update past that version. It still doesn't do it on that version, but the update error messages are becoming more frequent. I found an old 'legacy' install for Edge, and that worked, but now it updates to the new version as soon as I install it. It still doesn't do it on IE-11, but that is becoming old and more vulnerable.

It also does it on Firefox and a another browser I can't remember right now.

I've tried;
New cables to the monitors.
Switch the video cards around, and then run with just one and then the other. Still does it.
Tried a different monitor. Different brand, but only runs at 1080P, but it still does it.
Updated the BIOS, even though I was on the latest one for this MB, I re-installed it. No change.
Got a new video card from where I work, a brand new GT 710 or 720, not sure which now. That didn't fix it.
I bought a new OS drive. Switched from a Samsung 850 Pro to a Samsung 970 Evo PCIE M2. Did a fresh, clean install of Windows 10. Still does it.
Been trying every new video driver that comes out, and then some older versions. Still does it.
Bought new memory. Went from DDR4-2666 to DDR4-3200. (Can't get it to run faster than 2448 on this MB). Still does it.
Done numerous installs and re-installs of the OS.., still does it.
Searched the 'net' for solutions, and found many older threads about this happening five and six years ago, but the only solution everyone says is to disable hardware acceleration. Tried that and it doesn't make any difference.

I can run both monitors at their full UHD resolution with 4K videos playing on both, and they play perfectly. No problems. But as soon as I open a simple browser page, on either Chrome or Edge, it does it.

I can download images of any size, and they open and display perfectly. But, as part of a web page, they don't. I don't understand it. The hardware I have should have no problem with static images.

Apr 14, 2020
While gaming or browsing, do you scale the canvas to fit your screen size? If it is, then you might face the same issue in every browser. Smoothing the behavior of image rendering does toy with the actual image representation.

Try to dig your problem in this direction. I hope your problem gets solved.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
This is what I get. Notice only the images are pixilated. If I refresh the screen, most will clear up, but others will be pixilated. It's not the whole page. It's just random images on the page.
hW9yucd.jpg

Sometimes even video links will appear this way.
MrYtu2Y.jpg

I don't know if this is hardware linked or software problems. My internet connection appears fine. It's Xfinity. I usually get a speed of around 350 mbps.
Changing resolutions or screen size appears to do nothing. When watching videos on YouTube, occasionally, I'll get a low resolution video that appears this way. It seems that the higher the resolution, the better the image.
Having tried a different piece or replacing everything on my computer except the MB and the CPU, I don't know where to go next.