Image retention on LCD within minutes

nu1mlock

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hello,

I've noticed that I have pretty bad image retention on my display (Philips 272c4qpjkab). I've had it for as long as I cam remember now that I think about it, but it might have gotten worse.

I've always noticed it when shutting down or rebooting the PC - when (on Windows 10) the screen goes blue and says "Shutting Down". I've always thought it was just somewhat transparent.

Yesterday I really noticed that wasn't the case though as an image from Discord was "burnt in" when I minimized the window and did something else. The "burned in" image was still visible 15-20 minutes later.

I did a quick test with having Chrome open and the default start page with the Google logo on it. After coming back about 5 minutes later, that logo was burnt in. I went into Reddit to write a post and during that time, the top left Reddit logo was burnt in.

After having the screen off during the last 10 or so hours, I figured I'd give it another go today when I woke up. It didn't take more than 5-10 minutes before any image was clearly burnt in. Borders from windows and all darker elements are also clearly visible.

I've tried it with and without my GPU to make sure it wasn't that.

Now, I'm aware of programs that can help remove image retention, but the big issue here is that it happens extremely fast. A couple of minutes shouldn't be enough to get the issue. Right?

Thanks!

Solution
Sounds like the monitor is faulty, you have already tried multiple sources (GPU & onboard GPU) so it suggests a monitor problem. I do not know if it can be fixed, is it still in warranty?

Can you try another computer or laptop on it just to rule out a problem with your computer?

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Sounds like the monitor is faulty, you have already tried multiple sources (GPU & onboard GPU) so it suggests a monitor problem. I do not know if it can be fixed, is it still in warranty?

Can you try another computer or laptop on it just to rule out a problem with your computer?

Solution

nu1mlock

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

I've been in contact with Philips and they wanted me to take a couple of pictures and email those to them. It's not confirmed to be a faulty display but it's a start. And yes, it still has one and a half year warranty left, question is if it's covered (image retention isn't normally covered by the warranty but I'm hoping it will anyway since it shouldn't only take a couple of minutes to "burn in").

nu1mlock

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
I wanted to update this post with what has happened. The display was indeed faulty.

I sent in the images to Philips on Monday and today (Wednesday) I got a call from them saying that DHL or UPS will be picking up my display and give me a new one either today or tomorrow.

Now, that's what I call service.