[SOLVED] Imaging 512SSD on to 250 SSD

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
I just bought a used Thinkpad X1 with 512Gb SSD for my wife, she wouldn't need the 512gb size, and a 256 would be enough. I also have a Samsung 960 Evo, 250gb as my Games drive on my desktop which is running out of space. Both are NvME, I am NOT sure what brand of SSD is inside the Thinkpad, specs say Read 2800/Write 1600, so I think the Samsung would be faster, but basically a wash.

Question is, is it worth the effort to swap the drives? If so, what's the easiest way to image it from the larger SSD to the smaller one? OR, alternatively I have a Lenovo recovery USB which I could use to re-install the whole thing, would it work on the 256gb SSD or it MUST have the bigger original SSD?

Thanks

Solution
I just got the recovery file from Lenovo based on the serial number, would it work on the 256GB SSD straight up? or it must have the original SSD? Probably a lot easier than worrying about cloning, as I am wiping the PC anyway to start fresh.
If it's Windows 10 and it was already installed and activated on certain machine, you can do clean install on that machine as many times you want and it will activate automatically, providing of course that it's of same type like for instance Home or Pro. All it needs is internet connection.
I just bought a used Thinkpad X1 with 512Gb SSD for my wife, she wouldn't need the 512gb size, and a 256 would be enough. I also have a Samsung 960 Evo, 250gb as my Games drive on my desktop which is running out of space. Both are NvME, I am NOT sure what brand of SSD is inside the Thinkpad, specs say Read 2800/Write 1600, so I think the Samsung would be faster, but basically a wash.

Question is, is it worth the effort to swap the drives? If so, what's the easiest way to image it from the larger SSD to the smaller one? OR, alternatively I have a Lenovo recovery USB which I could use to re-install the whole thing, would it work on the 256gb SSD or it MUST have the bigger original SSD?

Thanks
Only reason I could think of would be capacity. Speed difference is negligible.

D

Deleted member 14196

Can’t image large to small. Not an option Unless the space used on the larger Drive is under 250 GB

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
I just got the recovery file from Lenovo based on the serial number, would it work on the 256GB SSD straight up? or it must have the original SSD? Probably a lot easier than worrying about cloning, as I am wiping the PC anyway to start fresh.

If it's Windows 10 and it was already installed and activated on certain machine, you can do clean install on that machine as many times you want and it will activate automatically, providing of course that it's of same type like for instance Home or Pro. All it needs is internet connection.

Solution