News Imec Presents Sub-1nm Process and Transistor Roadmap Until 2036: From Nanometers to the Angstrom Era

InvalidError

Titan
Moving power to the back of the chip using vias sounds like it should improve thermals instead of degrading them: you are replacing a bunch of silicon between the junctions and heatsink with millions of copper TSVs. Thermal vias are pretty good at moving heat across PCB sides especially for components with thermal solder pads, they should be able to do something similar with silicon which is a comparably bad heat conductor..

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
Imec is fully convinced that Moore’s Law is still alive and well 52 years after it was penned

Sure. Especially when you're Dr. Frankenstein and he is the only one that has the key to his laboratory, right?

chip design costs are skyrocketing due to more complex design rules

Yeah, but who's setting these "rules" and what market are they comparing this to when there's no other competitions? 😏

and longer design cycle times, contributing to increased cost-per-transistor.

Now, they are just contradicting themselves here. Did they just say earlier that these new today's technologies existed for years (decades) before they were mass marketed? 😂

Uh-huh! Caught them!

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah, but who's setting these "rules" and what market are they comparing this to when there's no other competitions? 😏
The design rules are pretty much dictated by the laws of physics and the practical means we have of dealing with them with available equipment, technology and science. They are the manufacturers' way of telling their clients: "this is the best our fabs and processes are capable of."

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
The design rules are pretty much dictated by the laws of physics and the practical means we have of dealing with them with available equipment, technology and science. They are the manufacturers' way of telling their clients: "this is the best our fabs and processes are capable of."

Physics does not own any bank account(s). 🙄

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I most definitely get that, already. That's not my plight here.

Your posts are complete nonsense. You appear to be a conspiracy theory crackpot. There's no "gotcha" to anything here.

Imec is a giant collaboration of basically anyone who's anyone in the industry. There's no "Doctor" holding any "key" here. It's a consortium of corporations who don't really like one another very much and you can be sure aren't working together towards some nefarious secret goal.

"Design rules" are collections of metrics that define the parameters of what a process is capable of, so that the people that design the circuits can know what kind of performance they can expect for the circuits they're laying out. It isn't a pricing scheme.

I honestly don't even know what you're trying to infer with your last line "Did they just say earlier that these new today's technologies existed for years (decades) before they were mass marketed? 😂". It's just nonsensical.

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
Your posts are complete nonsense. You appear to be a conspiracy theory crackpot. There's no "gotcha" to anything here.

Imec is a giant collaboration of basically anyone who's anyone in the industry. There's no "Doctor" holding any "key" here. It's a consortium of corporations who don't really like one another very much and you can be sure aren't working together towards some nefarious secret goal.

"Design rules" are collections of metrics that define the parameters of what a process is capable of, so that the people that design the circuits can know what kind of performance they can expect for the circuits they're laying out. It isn't a pricing scheme.

I honestly don't even know what you're trying to infer with your last line "Did they just say earlier that these new today's technologies existed for years (decades) before they were mass marketed? 😂". It's just nonsensical.

You're so cool now with your playground insults. 😂

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Extremely interesting article, in a ideal world they would all work together, always, but we live in this trash society that is built around countries and capitalism. Humanity is like a child with a lot of toys.

May 22, 2022
Very interesting article,what's funny about it, is how IMEC shares this information when they knew this 2-3+ years ago.The power of information....lovely,it truly creates massive advantage for those who get it first and have the means to profit on it.
I wonder when they will share their thoughts or why they didn't mention Atomic Layer Deposition as a key complementary tech to those talked about.From 3nm to below its a must have on the supply chain and chip making.
But who i am to talk about this...

Funny world

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Very interesting article,what's funny about it, is how IMEC shares this information when they knew this 2-3+ years ago.The power of information....lovely,it truly creates massive advantage for those who get it first and have the means to profit on it.
I wonder when they will share their thoughts or why they didn't mention Atomic Layer Deposition as a key complementary tech to those talked about.From 3nm to below its a must have on the supply chain and chip making.

Funny world

Wow. Another one of you? There's no cabal of CEOs in a back room twirling their moustaches while scheming how to tie the damsel to the railroad tracks. Everything they're talking about has been known to everyone that works in the industry for quite some time. IMEC is just the first step towards everyone getting on the same page. They probably didn't mention ALD as it's been in common use through the industry for over a decade now.

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022

Funny world

Aww-man, your next beverage is on me!

ExxAAaactly!!! 👍