Imma upgrade but i kinda need some advice.

RedPanda_2

Honorable
Jul 9, 2017
So i have finally decided what i should upgrade in my pc but i need some help with extra changes.
Changes:
Cpu: I7 4790k -> I7 8700k
Ram: 16GB 1666hz ddr3 -> 16GB 2666hz ddr4 (whatever you choose can also be 3000hz)
Motherboard Can't remember name -> You choice (my budget for motherboard is around 250$

My question is what kinda motherboard and ram should i get and if you want to you can suggest a better cpu (I just game and lightly multitask and on rare occasions i stream and edit videos), I also kinda bet on the volta series releasing within the next month or two since i have 2 980s in sli and they really stutter when it comes to gaming. I also want to upgrade my case so if you have any cases that have great/decent airflow.

i7-8700K with an overclock is currently the best gamer around and is no slouch for multitasking either.
The better bin of a I7-8086K does not seem to be worth the extra $.
Any Z370 based motherboard will allow you to overclock decently.
Intel performance is not much impacted by ram speeds. A 2 x 8gb kit of ddr4 300-3600 speed would be good.
Pick your favorite/cheapest brand.

Sli will win you fps benchmarks, but your gameplay will be better with a single strong card.
stuttering and screen tearing happens because of the dual gpu never being exactly in sync.
You would be happier today with a GTX1080ti.

Volta or whatever is not likely to be available soon. Perhaps by the end of the year(my guess) in time for Christmas.
And... if the performance exceeds that of a GTX1080ti by much, expect it to be very high in price and in short supply.

My plan would be to continue to use your two GTX980 cards until the graphics situation gets sorted out.
Yes, you will need to pay a bit more for a sli capable z370 motherboard. $250 should be more than enough.

As to cases, looks matter.
Buy a case that you love. Bust your budget if you need to; you will have that case for a very long time.

Of course, a case needs to hold your motherboard and parts.
My criteria for functionally a good case is having at least two front 120/140mm filtered front intakes.
That gives you sufficient cooling for an overclocked cpu and a hot graphics card.
A 160mm room for an air cooler is also a must.

My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
Past that, A AIO radiator complicates creating a positive pressure filtered cooling setup which can keep your parts clean.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
Google for AIO leaks to see what can happen.
While unlikely, leaks do happen.

I would support an AIO cooler primarily in a space restricted case.
If one puts looks over function, that is a personal thing; not for me though.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

RedPanda_2

Honorable
Jul 9, 2017

Thank you for your answer but i will pretty much pick any case possible and if the volta gpus are out of the budget motherboard prices won't matter to much. Can you give me some suggestions like motherboard and case combos i can pick. I don't really care about rgb,

I have no particular experience with these, but they look good to me.
Asus and asrock seem to be the brands with more overclocking support.
Here are two motherboards with sli support:
ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac LGA 1151 (300 Series)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157790#fullInfo
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming LGA 1151 (300

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352072

As to cases, NZXT seems to be good quality.
Fractal Design Meshify C

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119035

For a top cooler, I like the Noctua NH-D15s.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY44C6096&cm_re=noctua_d15s-_-35-608-072-_-Product